Complete Avanti!

mfg

I guess we'll leave this one 'open'!...I won't dispute the photo you saw, but I inquired with Studebaker in 1965 about purchasing an Avanti body shell (complete with doors, hood, etc)....and the answer I got from them was NO!.....so I'd lean towards TRUE as the answer to this question.

I dispute the premise of your statement in your question.  Both headlight panel styles were not always available.   That is why some cars have been rebuilt with a panel that is incorrect for the car. 

12 hours ago, mfg said:

I guess we'll leave this one 'open'!...I won't dispute the photo you saw, but I inquired with Studebaker in 1965 about purchasing an Avanti body shell (complete with doors, hood, etc)....and the answer I got from them was NO!.....so I'd lean towards TRUE as the answer to this question.

The fact that Studebaker sold everything to Avanti Motors in 1964 may be the reason.

Studebaker did sell complete bodies.

The Studebaker Zone Office in Allison Park, PA had a new Avanti (Avanti Gray) with very miles that was involved in a roll over accident. My Dad and I looked at it a few days after the accident.

It was sold to another dealer in Pittsburgh, PA and they installed a complete body.

1 hour ago, studegary said:

I dispute the premise of your statement in your question.  Both headlight panel styles were not always available.   That is why some cars have been rebuilt with a panel that is incorrect for the car. 

Yes, I agree that 'round headlight' nose panels did become NLA for a time in the seventies-eighties, however, the question was 'framed' in the'63-'65 time period Gary, (Studebakers still being produced) and at that time  BOTH style headlamp panels were readily available!

Edited by mfg

10 minutes ago, Regnalbob said:

The fact that Studebaker sold everything to Avanti Motors in 1964 may be the reason.

Studebaker did sell complete bodies.

The Studebaker Zone Office in Allison Park, PA had a new Avanti (Avanti Gray) with very miles that was involved in a roll over accident. My Dad and I looked at it a few days after the accident.

It was sold to another dealer in Pittsburgh, PA and they installed a complete body.

Interesting!....And it doesn't really surprise me that Studebaker Corp would go out of its way to please a Studebaker dealers request and/or special situation, but as far as selling a complete Avanti body to a private owner, well, I have a letter from Studebaker which pretty much says.....If you desire to buy a complete Avanti body shell, we strongly advise you to buy  a COMPLETE AVANTI!!!

21 hours ago, mfg said:

Although replacement Avanti exterior body panels were always readily available, a COMPLETE Avanti body shell could not be purchased from Studebaker.....True?

29 minutes ago, mfg said:

Interesting!....And it doesn't really surprise me that Studebaker Corp would go out of its way to please a Studebaker dealers request and/or special situation, but as far as selling a complete Avanti body to a private owner, well, I have a letter from Studebaker which pretty much says.....If you desire to buy a complete Avanti body shell, we strongly advise you to buy  a COMPLETE AVANTI!!!

The original question does not specify dealer or private owner, so the answer is false, a complete body could be purchased.

As I stated in my previous post how could Studebaker sell you a body in 1965 when they sold everything to Avanti Motors in 1964?

8 minutes ago, Regnalbob said:

The original question does not specify dealer or private owner, so the answer is false, a complete body could be purchased.

As I stated in my previous post how could Studebaker sell you a body in 1965 when they sold everything to Avanti Motors in 1964?

Points well taken Bob...Thanks!

The actual photo I saw was one for sale on eBay, depicting the body as it arrived at its destination, as it was supported. Possibly the winning bidder was a Studebaker Drivers Club or AOAI member, or someone like Richard Quinn. Perhaps an inquiry on both forums would yield the photo. It was intriguing enough that I bid on it.