Correct Fluid for Power Shift Transmission

JWL1940

Next job on R4541 is to change all the fluids. I need a recommendation for the correct type of fluid for the Power Shift transmission. The transmission was rebuilt in July 1977, about 8,000 miles ago. There are no leaks and the transmission shifts and performs as it should. I think it is time for a complete fluid change. Thanks.

(o[]o)

Hello all, we called one of the oil companies to find what trans fluid to use. They said we should

be using type F fluid. The viscosity is close to type A trans fluid. Dexron fluild is too thin for the panitary set and causing falure.

Thanks to all who offered their suggestions. I bought a case of Type F fluid from O'Rilley's today. Got a transmission service kit with pan gasket and filter element from Jon Myer earlier. All set for a transmission and converter oil change service.

(o[]o)

Dex 111 will work ok, the chances are if the unit has been rebuilt in the not too distant past that the brass lined clutches were replaced with the fiber style. The majority of the damage that I find during teardown, is caused by two things: the use of a screen instead of a filter. The second is caused by lack of service, with any debris floating in the pan, passes thru the screen and into the pumps, valve body and governor assemblies. Lou Cote

Thanks, Lou. As I posted earlier, the transmission was rebuilt in 1977, or about 8,000 miles past. The parts and work were done by Frost & French, a former Studebaker-Packard dealer in LA who continued to provide parts and service for the cars well after the demise of the corporation. My guess is they were NOS parts, but I have no way to verify. I will let folks here know if anything unusual shows up with this service.

(o[]o)

My Avanti mechanic (a Studebaker owner) recommends Type F because he says it gives a firmer shift. I totally agree, the 2-3 shift in my car is definitely firm (and I like it that way). Thoughts? Bob (63R3062)

Working in a transmission shop for 31 years, I have seen in the last few years more specialized fluids for European vehicles. Until the mid '90,s when electronic solenoids invaded transmissions all we stocked was type F .The came along DEX 111 and Mercon. And from there it has snowballed. No whining from the BMW, Mercedes,Volkswagon folks. I had to run to the BMW dealer to get fluid for a late model, 2 1/2 gallons was over $$ 175.00 our cost!! Some of the autoparts stores have begun importing the Pentosin brand, much more affordable. Lou Cote

Working in a transmission shop for 31 years, I have seen in the last few years more specialized fluids for European vehicles. Until the mid '90,s when electronic solenoids invaded transmissions all we stocked was type F .The came along DEX 111 and Mercon. And from there it has snowballed. No whining from the BMW, Mercedes,Volkswagon folks. I had to run to the BMW dealer to get fluid for a late model, 2 1/2 gallons was over $$ 175.00 our cost!! Some of the autoparts stores have begun importing the Pentosin brand, much more affordable. Lou Cote

The premise of proprietary trans fluids has always amazed me. What Makes one oil different from the other (Toyota vs Nissan) and with many American units, you can substitue Dexron for the original....

I can only speak of my own experiences here. My wife used to own a Honda Pilot and when I took it in for service for the transmission to be flushed and filled the service manager ordered original Honda fluid from the local dealer. I asked why he felt it necessary and he said Honda transmissions were touchy in that respect and buying genuine Honda fluid rather than a universal replacement meant he wouldn't be buying a transmission for the car later. I guess he talked from experience.

In my '98 Mercury Mountaineer I only recently replaced, a year or so back I had the transmission fluid flushed and filled (I had that performed twice as often as the manual recommended). Its manual stated only Mercon V be used. The shop used a universal fluid that replaced Mercon V as well as other fluids. It definitely ran differently after that as the shift points had changed...not dramatically but it was noticeable.

I concluded the factories knew what they were doing when they specified certain transmission fluids for their vehicles.

A couple years ago, a conversation with an Amsoil sales person (Studebaker owner) indicated that their Universal Trans Fluid could be used in a Toyota as well as an Acura or an Infiniti. I bought a case, but considering the penalty for a mistake, given the cost of these cars, never had the nerve to use it. Maybe it can be a replacement in a 700R4 or a PowerShift