Avanti Timing!

mfg

Prior to the Avanti's release, Studebaker engineers determined that there was a need for larger oil return passages in their V8 engines, (for high RPM dependability), by uniquely 'timing' the return of engine oil to the oil pan.....True?

I am thinking that it was just the larger return passages through the heads and the vents on the rocker arm covers that aided in oil return, not a unique timing issue.

Edited by studegary

Not sure what you mean by 'timing'.

To improve high rpm oil drainback to the oil pan, the main oil drainback hole from the lifter valley was enlarged (elongated) by about 1/3, and moved more forward of the gear that drives the distributor. The path of the crankcase ventilation air was also changed so that it assisted, rather than fought against, the oil drainback from the lifter area. Also, to prevent the oil from 'flooding' the rocker covers, the oil flow to the rocker shafts was restricted.

Since this doesn't sound like 'timing' to me, I will say FALSE. :)

Edited by r1lark

Not sure what you mean by 'timing'.

To improve high rpm oil drainback to the oil pan, the main oil drainback hole from the lifter valley was enlarged (elongated) by about 1/3, and moved more forward of the gear that drives the distributor. The path of the crankshaft ventilation air was also changed so that it assisted, rather than fought against, the oil drainback from the lifter area. Also, to prevent the oil from 'flooding' the rocker covers, the oil flow to the rocker shafts was restricted.

Since this doesn't sound like 'timing' to me, I will say FALSE. :)

By 'timing'..I meant the time it took for the oil to return to the pan....And the answer here is indeed FALSE....however, the question of how the engineers KNEW they had an internal engine oil return issue has not been answered!.....Any other thoughts here?

The engineers saw bearing damage during sustained high rpm dynamometer testing, and determined that the oil was being retained in the lifter valley and rocker covers instead of draining back to the oil pan. No oil in the oil pan does really ugly things at high rpm........ :(

You folks are definitely on top of this one....but the way I phrased the question wasn't very good!

The answer I was looking for was.......plexiglass 'windows' were installed into a test engine's valley cover & rocker arm covers to visually see what was happening with the oil at high RPM....The oil was indeed 'hanging up' in the lifter valley, and under the rocker covers!

Gee - I (and probably you) could have told them that. How many rocker arm covers have we taken off a recently run Studebaker V8 only to have a LOT (like a quart each) of oil pour out? I am sure that I had this happen before the Avanti engines came out.

Gee - I (and probably you) could have told them that. How many rocker arm covers have we taken off a recently run Studebaker V8 only to have a LOT (like a quart each) of oil pour out? I am sure that I had this happen before the Avanti engines came out.

Good point!....but it must have been interesting to watch it happen while the engine was running at a high RPM! (without getting covered in hot oil!!)

Good point!....but it must have been interesting to watch it happen while the engine was running at a high RPM! (without getting covered in hot oil!!)

I did say "recently running", implying that it was now turned off (not for long), not while it was running.