Starting issue

rwolak

I just purchased a 1976 Avanti II with the 400ci engine. Have what seems to be an intermittent problem when starting the car. At times, the car will not start in Park but will start in Neutral. Is this a symptom of the neutral safety switch going bad and, if so, where is the switch located on this car.

Thanx in advance for any help.

The neutral safety switch may well be out of adjustment. It's located under the car adjacent to the shifter mechanism. You have two sets of wires going to the mounting...one is the neutral safety switch and the other is the backup light switch.

While you're at it, make sure your backup lights work as well.

The neutral safety switch may well be out of adjustment. It's located under the car adjacent to the shifter mechanism. You have two sets of wires going to the mounting...one is the neutral safety switch and the other is the backup light switch.

Thanx for the response. Found the NSS at the base of the steering column just above the brake pedal. Removed it, opened in up, cleaned all the contacts, reinstalled it, everything works fine..

i believe you're referring to a Studebaker Avanti neutral safety switch Gunslinger.....rwolak owns a ll.

I can't speak for his '76 but my '70 was equipped with the Studebaker setup. My car also was equipped with the PowerShift as well until I had it replaced with a 700R4.