Fuse for backup lights on '66

Doug B

Not to be too obvious, but if it's the same length, how can it be too long if the old fuse fit? It's possible the fuse holder prongs are corroded and need a good cleaning.

There are more than one kind of 10-amp fuse...there's AGC, SFE, AGA and maybe more. You need to make sure you have the correct one. It might be difficult to read, but the metal end cap should tell you exactly which you need. The manual calls for a 1AG10, which is a 10amp short fuse.

Thanks for the reply. Both old and new measure 13/16 inches (11 cm). On closer inspection, I see that someone has ground a little off two sides of one end cap and a little around the edge of the other end. Strange. That must have been another owners solution.

Both the old and new fuses are BUSS SFE 9. (By the size, I had assumed 10 amp.)

When you say "short", how short?

I'll go to my local shop and compare my BUSS ones with the 1AG's you mention.

Thanks again.

Thanks Gunslinger. The picture in my parts manual does not quite match the fuse block in my '66.

The parts stores I tried did not have any shorter 10 amp fuses, but I did find one at an electronics dealer.

It is much smaller in diameter so, after much deliberation, I broke up the old fuse by drilling out the cement and solder to provide two end caps. They were a loose fit over the new fuse but with a little deformation, I was able to make them a good friction fit.

It works. For how long, we'll see. I'll keep looking for a real one.

Grainer is usually a wealth of info, I put in Buss sfe 9 and it shows this. Noodle around on their site and see if you can find what you need. Be sure to look at the documentation lower in the document. Bob

http://www.grainger.com/product/BUSSMANN-Fuse9A-Fuse-Amps-6AYC9

Edited by Avanti83

• 2 months later...

After much searching, I found what appears to be the whole story on fuses, at page 40 in issue #126 (Spring/Summer 2004) of AVANTI Magazine. Be sure to not miss the box in upper right.

My thanks to the author, Michael Mudd, an AOAI member.