What goes here?

RQB1820

1972 Engine compartment, pass side, looking forward...

Lots of wiring with connector ends laying down on the panel forward of the AC plumbing.... what am I missing there?

As you can see, the AC plumbing is just kind of hanging down in front of the alternator.... stock layout - brackets missing?

Thanks, Brad

post-12519-0-57484900-1442243149_thumb.jpg

Edited by RQB1820

Brad,

I see a couple of things lacking. On my 76, that connector is for a horn mounted on the right side of the engine bay. Do you have the Studebaker Avanti style surge tank in front and on top of the engine? The right side of the radiator is where a coolant overflow tank was usually mounted if you don't have a surge tank. If the radiator cap in connecting two pieces of the upper radiator hose, then you would not have the surge tank.

Brad,

I see a couple of things lacking. On my 76, that connector is for a horn mounted on the right side of the engine bay. Do you have the Studebaker Avanti style surge tank in front and on top of the engine? The right side of the radiator is where a coolant overflow tank was usually mounted if you don't have a surge tank. If the radiator cap in connecting two pieces of the upper radiator hose, then you would not have the surge tank.

That explains part of it - My radiator/coolant setup is as you said, "radiator cap connecting two pieces of the upper radiator hose." I did find a horn in my box-O-parts. Thank you.

There are still probably four or five unexplained wires in the bundle though. Are the white wires all of the common grounds? That would explain things... My manual should be here this week.

If you can post some pics of your engine bay that would be awesome. The POs of this car were "creative" in their wiring solutions I'm finding.

Brad

Edited by RQB1820

One of the worst parts of buying an older car is having to undo what past owners have done before you can fix it correctly. I've seen that in older cars I've owned...it makes for a mess and a lot of problems. Once you get it straightened out so many electrical issues just seem to go away.

In the Corvette world, that's referred to as "Bubba" getting hold of the car and doing his "fixes".

Brad,

My pictures are always being rejected for being too large to upload. PM me with your email and I'll send pics.

Paul