Correct way to install the exterior headlight retaining ring gasket

Mark L

I think the gaskets for my headlight covers are not properly installed. The car currently has acrylic headlight covers, and the gaskets seem too big for the covers.

The attached photograph shows how my right headlight cover is currently installed. The gasket covers the exterior of the trim ring and partially covers the screw heads.

20240928_152508.thumb.jpg.ffa6eff9d13e462db6f7f581a2d3acfe.jpg

I checked the index of technical articles in the AOAI magazine, but this topic was not specifically covered.  I also searched the SDC Forum. I learned that the aftermarket acrylic plastic covers are smaller than the glass covers, which explains why the gasket seems too big for the cover.

Regardless of the cover material, what is the correct way to install the gasket?

Edited by Mark L
Correct typo

On 9/28/2024 at 6:27 PM, Mark L said:

I think the gaskets for my headlight covers are not properly installed. The car currently has acrylic headlight covers, and the gaskets seem too big for the covers.

The attached photograph shows how my right headlight cover is currently installed. The gasket covers the exterior of the trim ring and partially covers the screw heads.

20240928_152508.thumb.jpg.ffa6eff9d13e462db6f7f581a2d3acfe.jpg

I checked the index of technical articles in the AOAI magazine, but this topic was not specifically covered.  I also searched the SDC Forum. I learned that the aftermarket acrylic plastic covers are smaller than the glass covers, which explains why the gasket seems too big for the cover.

Regardless of the cover material, what is the correct way to install the gasket?

I run the plastic headlamp covers on my ‘63 for general use, and save a set of NOS glass for??

The plastic covers are the same diameter as the glass… although the original glass covers may be thicker.

The gasket should fit around the circumference of the cover. With the four holes in the gasket lined up with the four slots in the plastic (or the glass) covers.

The gasket should not be on the outside of the chrome retaining ring.

Thanks. On my car, neither gasket has any holes. There are no holes in the edges of the covers, only V-shaped notches at each hole location.

The shop manual does not have any instructions for the orientation or stack-up/relationship of the retaining ring, gasket, cover, and the fiberglass nose panel. To remove or install the headlight bulbs, it basically says to remove and install the cover and gasket. Not helpful.

A cross-section view from an engineering drawing would certainly be a big help. I was only 90 miles from the Studebaker National Museum this week, but I didn't have any time to go to see if I could find a drawing.