Correct orientation of rear leaf springs

Mark L

While I've been working to install the disc brake conversion on my rear axle, I've been looking around at other things to get more familiar with the car. One thing I noticed is that both rear leaf springs are currently oriented like a rainbow, with the ends lower than than the middle where they are bolted to the bottom of the axle. The long leaf with the bushings on the ends is on the bottom, and the smaller leaves are on the top, between the long leaf and the axle.

It doesn't match the orientation in the parts manual.  I think mine are installed upside down.

My impression is that either someone did not know the correct orientation when they were installed, or someone intentionally flipped them over to lower the rear of the car.

I'm going to fix them, but will there be any long-term problems driving on them like this until I can get them right side up?

Edited by Mark L

• Mark L changed the title to Correct orientation of rear leaf springs
Posted (edited)

Yes, the shortest leaf is against the axle pad. I guess it sits lower. This is the first Avanti I've owned, so without having a correct Avanti sitting next to it, I have nothing to compare with it.

It's currently on jack stands, so I can't do any accurate measurements at the bumper, etc.

I'll post some photographs later.

Edited by Mark L

RQB3263/81/305

MIKE MYER INSTALLED MY NEW REAR LEAF SPRINGS ABOUT 4 YRS AGO SO I AM SURE THE ORIENTATION IS CORRECT

I HOPE THIS CURRENT PIC HELPS

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

Posted (edited)

Yes, the photograph helps. I double-checked today, and mine are installed like yours.

Edited by Mark L
Correct bone-headed error.

My apologies for the confusion.  I double-checked today, and mine are installed just like in wildfelr's photograph.  I don't know how I missed that.

No problem… I don’t think that could be done even if someone wanted to, with the leaf spring center bolt pointing down!