AVANTI BLACK

I have a flyer on the new Avanti listing the standard equipment. The available colors are

Avanti Grey, White, Turquoise, Gold and Red. I have R4499, 1 of 115 Avanti Black cars.

How late in the year did they start painting the cars black?

Avanti Black started in June, 1962.

63R-1013 is the first Black Avanti.

147 Black Avantis, 115 63s and 32 64s.

In November, 1962 Avanti Gray replaced Avanti Black as a standard color and Black was furnished only on a special order basis.

After February 1, 1963 there was a $35.50 extra charge for Avanti Black.

3 hours ago, paul shuffleburg said:

I have a flyer on the new Avanti listing the standard equipment. The available colors are

Avanti Grey, White, Turquoise, Gold and Red. I have R4499, 1 of 115 Avanti Black cars.

How late in the year did they start painting the cars black?

Hi Paul…. How’s everything in Arundel?

I was watching a show" Graveyard Cars" which is Chrysler based resto's.

What is odd to me that cars are numbered in rarity by their color.  

It really means nothing in my opinion.

1 hour ago, aardvark said:

I was watching a show" Graveyard Cars" which is Chrysler based resto's.

What is odd to me that cars are numbered in rarity by their color.  

It really means nothing in my opinion.

It’s just that ‘Avanti Black’ became such a hot potato at Studebaker…. At first a standard color, then replaced by ‘Avanti Gray’ when black became a problem on the production line, then black coming back as an extra cost option….Studebaker Avantis factory painted ‘Avanti Black’ are an interesting rarity!

Paul.. My records show Your car was 1 of 306 built the month of May of '64' or 3258 build in '64'. (1389 in '63')

I don't know how these cars are verified as a specific color,, The color is not coded in the serial number or VIN... like newer cars. The only way to find out (that I know of) is from the Build Sheet. These can be obtained by the ----Studebaker National Museum...201 Chapin St..South Bend, In..46601.----  My '63' denotes white.   What raises the value on these the most is supercharged (or not) and a Manual Tranny vs Auto, as well as production numbers, and what car had what options... and then at this stage of age is the mileage, originality and condition.

So to me (and only my opinion), paint color is far down the list when considering valuation....especially when there were only 6 colors available in the first place. and 5 since black was replaced with grey.

MFG ...understandably black would be a production line issue. It's the hardest color to prep and paint, as well as hell to maintain. Not for the faint of heart.

I stand corrected on the Build Date a bit.

Is it a round or square lighted car ??. 63 Production models were sold in 64.,,and 62 was when they made 63's. It's a convoluted mess on how these cars were dated and then released to the Dealerships ''for sale'.

Like all other Studebaker passenger cars of the era (and before) Studebaker Avantis have a small paper tag glued to the bottom of the glove box which indicates the vehicles original factory color… and color code……

Unfortunately, many of these small paper color tags are missing, having fallen off, as the glue holding them upside down on glove box tends to dry out, losing its ‘stickiness’ .