Avanti Panel!

mfg

A rather unusual body related issue, involving a body panel separating from the car (at speed), has shown up over the years on a few mid ‘80’s Avanti ll’s…. The problem body panel is the …..?…..

1) Deck lid…..2) Roof…..3) Hood ….or….4) Rocker panel

9 hours ago, Nelson said:

Maybe the hood or something related like hood skin or hinge?

57 minutes ago, John Hull said:

Hood

Yes the hood… as Nels indicated, the hood upper ‘skin’ has been known to separate from its under framework due to whatever type of bonding adhesive Avanti Motors used failing…. My own ‘83 ‘everyday driver’ did this at the right front corner near the hood hinge.

I’ve never seen a Studebaker Avanti hood separate like that.

• 2 weeks later...

My 63 had this same problem,  I used 3-M 5200 the marine industry  uses this to bond the top half of a fiberglass  boat to its hull, clean the space between the top and bottom  with folded sand paper wipe with acetone, squeeze in the 5200 hold together with weights and good to go.

10 hours ago, guy said:

My 63 had this same problem,  I used 3-M 5200 the marine industry  uses this to bond the top half of a fiberglass  boat to its hull, clean the space between the top and bottom  with folded sand paper wipe with acetone, squeeze in the 5200 hold together with weights and good to go.

So some of the Stude types also had this problem.