Engine mount question

Zedman

When I removed the Engine Mountings from my 1981's Frame I noted that the Right hand one is cast from Aluminium Bronze whereas the left hand one is cast Iron/steel.  I've been meaning to table this question for ages.... is there any significant reason for these dissimilar metals?

My '70 had two steel engine mounts.  The only reasons I can think of for the two dissimilar mounts are one has been replaced or Avanti Motors had a new batch made of alloy and yours received one of each in assembly.  Never say never with Avanti Motors...parts were not always pulled in any kind of order and could easily have had two pulled of non-matching metals.  

On 7/24/2024 at 9:12 PM, Zedman said:

When I removed the Engine Mountings from my 1981's Frame I noted that the Right hand one is cast from Aluminium Bronze whereas the left hand one is cast Iron/steel.  I've been meaning to table this question for ages.... is there any significant reason for these dissimilar metals?

I’ve never heard of aluminum bronze.

I once bought a set of engine mounts from Studebaker International.  They were aluminum or aluminum/ bronze.  Whether SI had them fabricated or they were leftover Avanti Motors or from Altman/Newman I don’t know.

1 hour ago, Gunslinger said:

I once bought a set of engine mounts from Studebaker International.  They were aluminum or aluminum/ bronze.  Whether SI had them fabricated or they were leftover Avanti Motors or from Altman/Newman I don’t know.

Aren’t aluminum and bronze completely disimilar metals?

2 hours ago, mfg said:

2 hours ago, mfg said:

Yeh- Absolutely, but Aluminium Bronze is an extremely strong, tough , very wear resistant alloy. Generally running at 5 to 10% Aluminium with small amounts of Silicon and Manganese added, the bulk of the material is Copper. The colour is a light gold rather than the dark brown traditional bronze - like in statues. Our Australian $1 and $2 coins (the all original Brass-Razzoos!🤣) are made from Ally Bronze as well. As far as the Engine Mounts were concerned I theorized as to whether earthing on these might be superior...   Just for those who wonder about the spelling.... Over here we do use an extra 'i' in Aluminium 😏.

My 1981 Avanti RQB 3269 will be finally commencing its re-assembly from bare-Frame in two weeks.... about time.

10 hours ago, Zedman said:

Yeh- Absolutely, but Aluminium Bronze is an extremely strong, tough , very wear resistant alloy. Generally running at 5 to 10% Aluminium with small amounts of Silicon and Manganese added, the bulk of the material is Copper. The colour is a light gold rather than the dark brown traditional bronze - like in statues. Our Australian $1 and $2 coins (the all original Brass-Razzoos!🤣) are made from Ally Bronze as well. As far as the Engine Mounts were concerned I theorized as to whether earthing on these might be superior...   Just for those who wonder about the spelling.... Over here we do use an extra 'i' in Aluminium 😏.

My 1981 Avanti RQB 3269 will be finally commencing its re-assembly from bare-Frame in two weeks.... about time.

Well, you taught me something!! Thanks !

I think MFG and Gunslinger have sorted out my query. If in fact a PAIR of Mountings were available, both right and left configurations in Aluminium Bronze then I guess my Avanti just received one 'old stock' Ferrous mount.  Thanks.👍.