Air pump on 84 Avanti 305 SBC....needed?

No emissions testing done up here in Canada. In attempting to replace my fuel pump, I have to make room to be able to work in the confined area. At the moment I am (trying to) remove the air pump having taken the alternator out. Are there any major issues in simply not reinstalling it?  I would expect to replace the current (original) cat. convertor with one that has better exhaust flow and no air hose input. What else might I be looking at as an area of importance?

grant

No problem not running it. Just make sure the exhaust check valve is good or remove the air pipes from the exhaust manifolds had insert pipe plugs.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

4 hours ago, grant mills said:

No emissions testing done up here in Canada. In attempting to replace my fuel pump, I have to make room to be able to work in the confined area. At the moment I am (trying to) remove the air pump having taken the alternator out. Are there any major issues in simply not reinstalling it?  I would expect to replace the current (original) cat. convertor with one that has better exhaust flow and no air hose input. What else might I be looking at as an area of importance?

grant

I wouldn’t be too concerned about the cat if you plan to eliminate the air pump….. The system needs all of its components  functioning to work as designed… If you eliminate the air pump, you may as well as change over to a factory style, much more efficient, true dual exhaust system, as one would find on a circa 1968 Avanti ll… It will bolt right on.

If you want to keep a converter there are different generations. I installed one from a Corvette on my Avanti, less back pressure. No air tube and it bolted up to the two front manifold pipes. Two exhaust pipes come out of it.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

Grant- I'm intending to remove the complete AIR injection Valve,Manifold injection Tubes, Hoses and Check Valves Pump (I've repaired it but I have never seen such a failure-prone object such as these), Cat Con and hot air tube.... Oughtta make Sparkplug  maintenance easier too.  There are Plugs marketed for blocking the Manifolds- I believe these are 5/16" US pipe. You should remove the little flared Tubes within the Manifolds before fitting Plugs.