1964 R2 on BRING_A_TRAILER

Currently running on the bring-a-trailer auction site for $30K with 3 days to go.  

Nice '64 R2 maroon with red interior, not factory perfect but still a nice car.

I'm looking at the engine number and the die for the R is not the same as the rest of the stampings and I don't see the last number (1) which according to the should be K321.  I know that back then all stampings were done by hand, and I guess depending on who came in that morning and grabber the stamping tools, no 2 engine numbers would be lined up perfectly.

In any event, wondered what others thought of that engine number vs what is on the production order.  Also, I remember this same car being on the auction before,,,

below are some pictures and the link to the auction is below,,,

No Reserve: 1964 Studebaker Avanti R2 for sale on BaT Auctions - ending July 6 (Lot #153,392) | Bring a Trailer

1964_studebaker_avanti_EF83D2AA-B512-4E9E-BB98-D05A1C57C2EA_1_105_c-39992 (1).webp

1964_studebaker_avanti_c0d072b4-907a-44a3-b642-ed6bfd481b28_1_105_c-12196.webp

Edited by Rick Allen
add

The engine number on my 56J looks like that (K1021)…. The ‘K’ is very faint but the ‘1021’ is deep & clear.

Edited by mfg
Spelling

I suspect the Studebaker employee's exact words were "oops, rats."

Below is a pic of my '64 Avanti R2 engine number.  As mentioned these engine numbers apparently were hand stamped and irregularities occurred..\

I notice that the two engine numbers used different fonts.

--Dwight

Engine number, R-5255 20240703 (2).JPG

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2024 at 11:00 PM, Dwight FitzSimons said:

I suspect the Studebaker employee's exact words were "oops, rats."

Below is a pic of my '64 Avanti R2 engine number.  As mentioned these engine numbers apparently were hand stamped and irregularities occurred..\

I notice that the two engine numbers used different fonts.

--Dwight

Engine number, R-5255 20240703 (2).JPG

Possibly the worker who stamped that engine block previously worked in a factory making signs like the one below,,,

61ddQUycQ9L.jpg