Frame query

Hey Folks,

New to the forum. I do not have an Avanti, although I wish I did. A very good friend has purchased a very nice 64 R1 auto. We used to have a Stude dealership in the early 60s in Mimico Ont. I’m helping him get the car ready to drive and enjoy. First thing I did was check the frame and Hog Trough. Very surprised at how nice the undercarriage is. I’ll be on here a lot asking questions, so please be kind and patient. My fist query is the frame. The welds look very poor, ya I figured back then it was welded by hand. In the pic you will see a “split”in the front clip, just ahead of the X. Just want to know if it is normal, or do we need to weld up the “split”.

Thanks

Tom

IMG_1263.jpeg

IMG_1262.jpeg

12 hours ago, Mark L said:

Wow, hardly any surface rust. Very nice.

Yes, I was very happy when I put the car on the hoist to see how clean it was. I was at first expecting the worst, re: Hog Troughs, but excellent condition. After checking thru the stacks of paperwork, found out the car was originally sold and shipped to someone in Honolulu Hawaii.

1 hour ago, Shoovel said:

Yes, I was very happy when I put the car on the hoist to see how clean it was. I was at first expecting the worst, re: Hog Troughs, but excellent condition. After checking thru the stacks of paperwork, found out the car was originally sold and shipped to someone in Honolulu Hawaii.

Not very many Avantis with an underside that clean!

5 hours ago, silverstude said:

What was your Dealerships name?

Gallinger Motors. We started with Studebaker, then later on we took on Sunbeam. Sunbeam cars were junk, except for the Tiger.