1984 Rear brakes question

Were the rear brakes drums or disc on the ‘84? My newest Avanti has rear disc brakes and the calipers ride high on the rotors, leading me to wonder if there was a conversion. Anyone know what Mr Blake put on?

There were two flavors of rear discs that found root in the Avanti.  One was Jim Turners and other  was Dave LeVesque.  Both similar and very functional.   If yours has the GM  mid eighties caliper ( Cadillac, Riviera, Toronado), then they are likely one of these.    There are other third party kits which use similar components.   I don't know what you mean by the calipers riding high.  Is it, that the pads are off the rotor?    Whatever, none of the Turner or LeVesque products have any odd look to them.  Pic below is an old rdb14ss.jpg.df686376743c08c066ac4a44261a1269.jpg

shot of mine (late  1990's) and the pad sweeps most of the rotor  (Lincoln rotor) 

• 4 weeks later...

My '84 has a rear drums. My car is a tricked out (with every option), built as a draw prize for a major Canadian Charity ( I bought it used from 3rd owner), so if rear discs were a factory option, they would have been on it. So your rear discs are probably an after market add on.

On 5/21/2024 at 12:29 AM, Desert Driver said:

I should’ve said the pad is riding high and not making full contact with the rotor. 

I’d  still like to know if drums or discs brakes were standard in 1984. 

WOW!!!…. You seem to be the only other Avanti owner besides myself that has noticed the front disc brake pads “ride high” on ‘84-‘85 Blake Avantis.

My 1985 has this problem (factory setup), and I can see no practical way to lower the calipers without a drastic rework!

Dors anyone else have any thoughts about this unusual situation?

( Approx 1/4” above outer circumference of front rotors)

oops!….. I see you were referring to rear disc brakes on your Avanti (definitely put on after your car was built)

I’m having that same ‘pad riding high’ problem with the factory FRONT disc brakes on my ‘ 85.

Edited by mfg

I do know that Steve Blake had new “ in house” front brake caliper mounting brackets made up…

They allow use of ‘84 Chevy Monte Carlo rotors & calipers… He found it was necessary to space out the rotors about 3/16” at the inner wheel bearing to clear the Studebaker-type front spindle.