AOAI 2024 Detroit - Two First Evers

BillyBob

AOAI 2024 Detroit, First-Ever Media Day Event Featuring Detroit’s Own Surfer Joe!

AOAI 2024 Detroit: September 17-21, 2024 – come early, stay late! And here’s another reason why…

On Saturday, September 21, starting at 10 a.m., join us for a duo of AOAI First-Evers - Media Day and Detroit’s own D.J., Surfer Joe.

Surfer Joe promises to play those special tunes we sang and danced to as we grew up! We “hear” Surfer Joe just may even play a few Avanti and Studebaker tunes. So, Avanti Ladies, put on those Bobby Socks, bring your fav sweetie, and come join us as we dance to the tunes and ogle Avanti automobiles! Meet Surfer Joe here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieCHhIjx-_Y

If you’ve not yet registered for the Avanti Owners Association International 2024 Detroit, there is still time! Online reservations may be found at:

https://aoai.org/shop/aoai-2024-detroit-international-meet/

While registering, be sure to look at the tours, Concours and Authenticity Shows, and the awards Banquet on Friday night. See:

https://aoai.org/aoai-2024-detroit-driving-tours/

Host hotel reservations may be made at:

https://www.hilton.com/en/attend-my-event/dttlies-xao-5fe53cdd-ef5c-40fe-9f57-f37061f7c48c/

Yes, Embassy Suites is a Hilton property and when you call be sure to tell them you are with AOAI 2024 Detroit to secure the best-possible rate.

Registration at Embassy Suites opens at 1 p.m. EDST on Tuesday, September 17 and wraps up with Media Day on Saturday, September 22. Our meet-only rate is good for two days before AND after our scheduled meet.

I sorta gave my answer about attending, on another thread where they said the meet-up was cancelled,   So now it looks like it's back on. Sorry to be a downer here folks but the area is totally unsafe and under Policed. as would be Chicago or Atlanta or any other ''out of control'' City-Scape.

Also what I'm not seeing is an address where this Hotel is at and IF that is where the venue is being staged. And a Detroit Driving Tour?    No thanks. That's just asking for a Car-Jacking at gunpoint..

I grew up in the Detroit Burbs.. Since 1967 when the Riots happened that City still hasn't recovered and the homicide rate is thru the roof... as well as other crimes. Homicides exceed Chicago and Atlanta by a good margin when calc'ed by ''X'#'s per 1000 of population.

Why Y'all aren't setting this up in the Burbs like Pontiac where the Police at least have some control is beyond me. 

So for the reason of Personal Safety and Property Theft, I won't be attending.

I might add... If Ya want the Studie Experience, why isn't this being held in South Bend, Indiana. The Home of Studebaker?

Edited by aardvark

Excellent reply, as i too saw that it was going to be held in Detroit, where I was from and wondered who decided that? Not where I would have picked for that kind of gathering as there are many other nice suburbs in the area outside of metro Detroit that could and would have been acceptible. I asked my wife yesterday want to go? got that look, and a big NO!!! 

Stacy... We've discussed this before...but.. Wifey doesn't want to wear a flak vest?

Ya know, growing up around areas like that, ya develop a "street sense" and avoid areas of trouble, The hair on Your neck stands up and ya move along. My prayer/desire is for those who didn't grown up like that will be safe since they are not ''street savvy''. These folks just blindly enter into bad situations. 

The best of my understanding this Hotel is in Livonia, which at one time was a fairly safe community. The Problem is the event has road tours into bad areas.    I LOVED the Henry Ford Museum, in Dearborn, but that area at this time has gone heavily Muslim, and sorta in a corrupted way...(Hey, Y'all believe as Ya wish..just don't get violent with me)....

I do understand there is a South Bend. Indiana Meet in May..That would be a consideration, since it is the birthplace of Studie.

Edited by aardvark

Sorry if I'm disruptive..

My concerns are for us elderly members who will be visiting Motown. I grew up in that area. 

12 minutes ago, aardvark said:

Sorry if I'm disruptive..

My concerns are for us elderly members who will be visiting Motown. I grew up in that area. 

We live in difficult times…. Thank you for your concern.