Non-starting '64

Good evening everyone- Been working on the drivers side door (still am) and had disconnected the battery for a couple of weeks, but would reconnect it periodically to run the engine for a bit.  Went to do that again the other day and nothing...   no clicking, no sound of any kind when I turned the ignition key.  Confirmed twice that the battery is in good shape, so started with the circuit testing in the workshop manual.  The headlights stay on and do not dim when the switch is turned so it seems the starter (which was rebuilt by previous owner in 2019) could be the culprit.  Again, let me affirm my rank amateur status at this so any suggestions with detailed recommendations are welcomed.  The manual says to connect a heavy  jumper across the two terminals of the starter magnetic switch.  I assume that magnetic switch is part of the starter or is it somewhere else?  Also the starter cutout switch - where is that located and can that be an issue?  Thanks for any thoughts.....

Just asking if your in Park, maybe a neutral safety switch not allowing it to start?

Greg

The starter cut out switch and neutral safety switch are the same thing.

The starter cut out switch is mounted on the side of the transmission. Look in the transmission section for adjustment info.

Try moving the shift lever from park to neutral while you have the key in the start position—- foot on the brake pedal. 
Follow the positive battery cable from the battery, it will connect to the magnetic switch (solenoid) 

Posted (edited)

AO136- - car started when I did your suggestion.... I assume that points to making the starter cut out switch adjustment you

recommended.  Thanks for the advice...

Edited by Greg Stoyer

Good to hear you got the Avanti running.  Yes check the switch adjustment. 
Steve