paint motor in car - best way & best paint?

BillyBob

Motor in car. What is best way (spray or brush) and best paint to paint motor?

• intake & exhaust manifold removed
  • heads off

Looking for experience.

Thanks!!

9 hours ago, BillyBob said:

Motor in car. What is best way (spray or brush) and best paint to paint motor?

• intake & exhaust manifold removed
  • heads off

Looking for experience.

Thanks!!

Either way will work, spray painting itself would be a lot faster but the prep work would take a long time because I would think you would have to do a lot of masking to prevent overspray on other areas under the hood.

On the other hand I have done engines while in the car using high temperature ceramic engine paint and a foam brush, I felt that type of paint applied with a foam brush adhered better than the spray paint and you won't get paint runs as you might, using a spray can in a confined area, so close to what you're trying to spray, but as I said it's a matter of preference,,,

Edited by Rick Allen
Additions

While I did not paint in the car, I have used POR-15 with a brush and been very happy with the results.  My 53 Dodge truck flathead engine looks great after 6 years using POR-15.  My Avanti engine came out real nice and will hopefully look as good in 6 years as my truck.

Good luck and hope you find something that works for you.

Tom

I agree with the comment about thorough masking when using spray paint. Years ago a previous owner spray painted parts of my engine (Ford 289 blue, of all colors 😩). They didn't do a good job with the masking, so there is overspray in various places.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all!  Now scraping grease & old paint and prepping for foam brush application...