Avanti Flanged Axles!

mfg

Wondering if the later ('80's) Avanti "44" rear diff assy (with one piece flanged axle shafts) is anywhere near as strong as the special flanged "44" axle Studebaker used in their R3- R4 applications?

It's probably a moot question anyway (in terms of finding one) because the R3/R4 flanged differentials are as rare as, well....R3/R4 Studebakers.

I have a '66 Lark-type Dana 44 flanged differential on my '64 Avanti.  Everyone seems to agree that this would be a good upgrade for a tapered axle.  Or, installing the Phil Harris flanged axles.

--Dwight

2 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

It's probably a moot question anyway (in terms of finding one) because the R3/R4 flanged differentials are as rare as, well....R3/R4 Studebakers.

I have a '66 Lark-type Dana 44 flanged differential on my '64 Avanti.  Everyone seems to agree that this would be a good upgrade for a tapered axle.  Or, installing the Phil Harris flanged axles.

--Dwight

Yes, I think that the later Avanti ll flanged axle diffs are similar to the diff you installed in your '64 Stude Avanti..A good move I believe!

I own a fairly low mileage (50K) flanged diff taken from a wrecked '84...and if the tapered axle original diff in my '63 Stude Avanti R2 ever gives me a problem, I'll no doubt swap it out for the '84.

18 hours ago, Nelson said:

Yes the 65 and 66 flanged axles are a decent alternative to the tapered 44. I think the 64 and earlier Dana 44 axles were 18 spline? and the 65 and 66 are 27 or maybe 29 spline. Also the Dana 27 and Dana 44 for 1965 and 66 share the same axle.

Good info....Thanks!