Factory Invoice Question

DWR46

My Avanti Factory Invoice shows it was Invoiced to a San Diego, CA dealer on October 18, 1962. However, the invoice is also stamped in the lower center section "AVANTI DEMO" with a $200.00 notation and the date August 14, 1963. Can some of the Avanti historians tell me what this means. Obviously I would assume the dealer used the car as a demonstrator and possibly did not actually sell the car to a final customer until August 1963. Does the "$200.00" notation mean the factory reduced the final invoice amount by $200.00, but that was 10 months after the date of the invoice? Did the car come back to the factory for an "update" before being finally sold? Hopefully the experts on the forum can tell me how this process worked and what this all means.

On 10/30/2023 at 12:18 PM, DWR46 said:

My Avanti Factory Invoice shows it was Invoiced to a San Diego, CA dealer on October 18, 1962. However, the invoice is also stamped in the lower center section "AVANTI DEMO" with a $200.00 notation and the date August 14, 1963. Can some of the Avanti historians tell me what this means. Obviously I would assume the dealer used the car as a demonstrator and possibly did not actually sell the car to a final customer until August 1963. Does the "$200.00" notation mean the factory reduced the final invoice amount by $200.00, but that was 10 months after the date of the invoice? Did the car come back to the factory for an "update" before being finally sold? Hopefully the experts on the forum can tell me how this process worked and what this all means.

The $200.00 would be a credit to the dealer when the Avanti was put into service as a demonstrator.

The Avanti could have been in stock for several months, however it would not qualify for the credit until the dealer registered it with Studebaker's Demonstrator Program.

From Studebaker:

" The retail purchaser of any vehicles previously used as a demonstrator is entitled to any mileage or time period remaining in the warranty, calculated from the date the vehicle was first placed in service as a demonstrator"

Regnalbob: Thank you for your response confirming my thoughts. Based upon your information, and my dates, when do you think the car was "placed in service as a demonstrator"? We know it arrived at the dealership shortly after October 18, 1962, yet the $200.00 credit was not issued until August 14, 1963. Was the car "immediately" used as a demonstrator and finally sold to a retail customer in August 1963?

Without some documentation there is no way to know for sure when it was placed in service as a demonstrator or when it was sold.

It could have been placed in service in October or a later date.

Studebaker paid some incentives to dealers at the end of the model year and this may one of them.