Wanted: Early style vacuum gauge for a 1963 Avanti *** FOUND ! ***

Mark L

The vacuum gauge in my 1963 Avanti works, but it's an aftermarket unit.  I'd like to replace it with an original style unit.  I know they are difficult to come by, but if you have a working unit you are willing to sell, please send me a Private Message.  Thank you.

Mark

Edited by Mark L
changed title to indicate I found what I was looking for.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good news.  Russel Ware with Studebaker Parts.com in Arizona had a good used one available.  I bought it, and it arrived today.  Thanks, Russel, for finding it and making it available.

• Mark L changed the title to Wanted: Early style vacuum gauge for a 1963 Avanti *** FOUND ! ***

Mark is all set, however I thought I'd mention the earlier '57-'58 Stude Golden Hawk used the same vacuum gauge as early Stude Avantis...with the exception being the color of the needle would need changing from white to orange.

Mechanically, the Golden Hawk gauge may have worked the same way (shows boost and vacuum), had a chrome-plated trim ring, and fit the same diameter hole, but the color band, placement of the text, and the type font were different from those on the Avanti gauge. Not only would the needle color need to be changed, but the dial face as well to match the rest of the Avanti gauges.

These are photographs of the instrument panels from a 1958 Golden Hawk and from Avanti 63R-1001 at LeMay-America's Car Museum. The Golden Hawk color band has three colors (blue, red, and yellow), but the Avanti gauge has four (red, blue, yellow, and green). Placement of text and font are different. Also, the zero point for the Hawk gauge is left of center, whereas on the Avanti gauge it's centered. This might mean the the gauges are also slightly mechanically different so that the needle points at the correct location on the scale when pointing at the zero.

035-22.jpg

7888aa29-87b9-41ce-b486-a2c167570ebb.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Mark L
Add photographs found online.

• 2 weeks later...

Vacuum is vacuum, so mechanically the two gauges would function identically.

It also seems that, for some reason, the earlier GH gauges seem to keep working, while the Avanti vacuum gauges 'plugged up' early on.