Kingpin worn or not?

Kodjo

Hi,

I have a lot of play on the kingpins, both left and right. The question is, can I solve this by replacing the bearings or should I also replace the pin itself? 

The difference in price between bearings only or the complete set is huge. I'm tempted to replace the bearings only.

Is there a way to tell or the pin itself is worn? I can not find the diameter specification in the manual.

Thanks!

Edited by Kodjo

Unfortunately, you must disassemble the whole thing in order to determine the problem. Chances are that the top bushes will be well shot, but hopefully the journal will be fairly round. You'll need a 1"-2" micrometer for that. I think the diameter is 1 3/16" but I'm not completely sure about that. Many years ago I had my kingpins ground in the toolroom at my place of work They were really Ok but I was a bit anal - they only took off a thou ! I'd bet you could just bung new Bushes in there. I made my own Bushes out of Phosphor Bronze and machined 'em to fit my 'undersize'. The bottom journal is for a Needle roller bearing and that is another issue. If you have any galling or 'Brinelling' down there the King pins might need to go. Once again- you may be lucky.

17 hours ago, Kodjo said:

Hi,

I have a lot of play on the kingpins, both left and right. The question is, can I solve this by replacing the bearings or should I also replace the pin itself? 

The difference in price between bearings only or the complete set is huge. I'm tempted to replace the bearings only.

Is there a way to tell or the pin itself is worn? I can not find the diameter specification in the manual.

Thanks!

There are 2 ways to have "play" in the pins.  Up and down, in and out.  Up and down is adjustable with shims between the roller bearing and pin.  In and out are the bearing, bushing and pin.  I found one pin on mine had no noticeable play and one with a lot.  The one with a lot had a rusted bearing and damaged pin.  Like Zedman mentioned, you should disassemble the pin(s) and look at the pins for damage. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2023 at 3:30 PM, ronmanfredi said:

There are 2 ways to have "play" in the pins.  Up and down, in and out.  Up and down is adjustable with shims between the roller bearing and pin.  In and out are the bearing, bushing and pin.  I found one pin on mine had no noticeable play and one with a lot.  The one with a lot had a rusted bearing and damaged pin.  Like Zedman mentioned, you should disassemble the pin(s) and look at the pins for damage. 

I'll disassemble the pins this winter. It is in the garage already 😞