Removal of Sunroof

Zedman

I have a sunroof in my '81 and I am musing over removing it for repair. From what I have been able to glean from some readings, the Headliners and rollbar cover need to be removed. Has any body any advice for tackling that job.

The sunroof is still attached / epoxied to the roof but after I was able to wrestle the stuck "Blind" backwards, I was able to fish a rust bit of steel out of the cavity- so rot has set in. The headliner appears to be in absolutely perfect condition right now. Ignoring it for now IS a possibility but i thought I should investigate it in view of a future repaint of the car. The interior of RQB 3269 is in very pristine condition- I'd hate to bugger it up 😬

I had the epoxy go out and did not need to remove the complete unit nor touch the roll bar or headliner at that time I refreshed the cage that hold it from topside. A member named Jared or Javier B as he went through a lot and posted on his adventures a few years ago. Should search some of his post. 

Edited by Bill Hanlon

1 hour ago, Bill Hanlon said:

I agree but requires a potential car to be repainted. 

Sometimes that's true.....My '83 had a decent paint job when I closed in the moonroof...I made up my own composite headliner..and blended the paint on the sail panels.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away for a while- Thanks for the input, everybody. I will be re-painting the car eventually and "fixing" the Sunroof was part of that exercise. More to follow when I make inroads....