Template for Studebaker script on trunk lid

Mark L

My Avanti has no Studebaker script on the trunk lid. There are no holes in the trunk lid for the pins on the back of the script, so I can only assume that during a previous restoration, the script was deleted and the holes filled in, or the trunk lid was replaced and it never had the holes.

I'm planning to install a new Studebaker script on the trunk lid so it appears correct.

Question: Is there a template available that will help me put the script in the correct location?

Mark

31 minutes ago, Mark L said:

My Avanti has no Studebaker script on the trunk lid. There are no holes in the trunk lid for the pins on the back of the script, so I can only assume that during a previous restoration, the script was deleted and the holes filled in, or the trunk lid was replaced and it never had the holes.

I'm planning to install a new Studebaker script on the trunk lid so it appears correct.

Question: Is there a template available that will help me put the script in the correct location?

Mark

Filled in holes should be visible from back side of trunk lid.

Yes, that's what I thought. I haven't taken the time to thoroughly check. I've only done a cursory inspection but didn't see anything.

Edited by Mark L

Today when I finished replacing the starter on my Lark, I used a mirror and flashlight to look through the four holes on the inside of the Avanti's trunk (the vertical surface between the right backup light and the trunk latch striker). I found four approximately 1/8" diameter holes on the inner surface of the outer skin. They are not filled to the inside surface, so I should be able to open them back up, carefully, with a drill bit. I'll probably use a block of wood pressed aganst the exterior so that when the drill comes through, it doesn't splinter the outer surface of the fiberglass and paint.

Are there only four holes for the pins on the script? I didn't see where there could be more that could be accessed through the holes in the inside of the trunk.

Edited by Mark L

Well, that didn't go as well as I had planned. The pegs on the new script lined up reasonably well (by eyeball) with the existing holes on the interior surface of the outer trunk skin. I drilled the holes from the interior with minimal exterior chipping. When I put the script in place, two of the holes were not in line with the pins (they were off vertically). After gently messaging the script to align, I got it installed, but when sighting from the driver's side tail light to the passenger side, the script has a slight Coca-Cola wave along it's length instead of being straight.

In hindsight, what I should have done is only drilled one existing hole from the interior as a guide, then used the remaining pins on the script to mark the locations of the remaining holes on the exterior while I held the script parallel to the lower lip of the trunk lid, then drilled those from the exterior.  The script would have then been straight and parallel with the lower lip of the trunk lid. Of course, an installation template would have been the ultimate best guide.

A casual observer probably won't notice, but a purist would upon closer scrutiny.  It's OK, since the whole car will eventually need body and paint work anyway. At least everyone following the car will now know it's a Studebaker.

Edited by Mark L
Correct typo

Assuming it was a reproduction script maybe the pins weren’t exact. Most people probably won’t notice, they will be too busy trying to figure what kind of car it is. Mike

Back in the day, many (silly) Studebaker Avanti owners removed the Stude nameplate and filled in the holes.......

On my '83 everyday driver Avanti, I REMOVED the Avanti script from the deck lid, and installed the stylized '64-'66 'Studebaker' nameplate dead center between the back up lights...Looks pretty good I think!!

Yes, too late, already drilled and installed. See the 7th post above. However, if you feel yours is a good representation of a factory installation, you can create a template and post it here. That way, if the question ever comes up again, it will help someone else.

Edited by Mark L