Slamming Trunk

Avanti 79

The latch assembly probably needs adjusting.  The part the latch hook locks over needs to be moved upward and locked down in place.

Or…do as many Avanti owners do…never…or rarely…lock the trunk.  If you’ve ever had your release cable freeze or break you’d understand.

Thank you so much. I was thinking perhaps, no harm in not locking the trunk since most of my driving is local in any case, and it doesn’t seem like a problem with the trunk popping open. I’m a little afraid to of trying to adjust it, so maybe just leave it alone.  

Not to chime in late but you most likely need to put a slight tilt on the latch to get it to catch.  This can be completed by placing a half washer at the top of the latch bolts to create the slight tilt OR place the latch in a vice and beat the snot out of it to get the slight tilt.  This was one of the 1st things that I fixed on RQB-3616.

Thanks to all for the very helpful information. My question for SCPO-PD, I’m not sure which way the latch should tilt, where do you place the half wash so it tilts in the correct direction? I guess what I’m asking, is which direction do I want the latch to tilt, towards the front or rear of the car? I’m not sure I’m making myself clear. 🤷🏼

My latch needed to tilt downward towards the rear of the car so I placed the half washers at the top under the latch.  This forced the top of the latch to lean forward and the bottom of the latch push back towards the rear.

2 minutes ago, Avanti 79 said:

Thanks to all for your advice. FYI..I simply mover the the catch on the deck lid down between 1/8-1/4 inch and problem solved and the deck lid is still sealing nicely. 😊

Great!!!  I couldn't lower mine any more so I think the tilt gave me the extra whatever needed for me to catch that latch.