Skytop! Stuck Sunshade!

JavierB

Hit a snag on my SkyTop re-bonding project:  The sunshade won't budge.  Its open all the way, as it has been since i got the car.  I got the glass out, and figured that would maybe help dislodge the sunshade.  No dice.  stuck fast and completely.  any advice?

I've tried moving the power bar forward and back and that changes nothing.  there were some shredded bits of weatherseal, fabric liner, and some cloth tape up there, so it could be gunked up, but not sure what to do about it.

A couple of hours of WD40 later it came free!

For some ungodly reason there is a cloth liner on this that is held on by cloth tape that goes all the way to the edge, meaning it sits in the slider channel.  So after 40 years it had gotten shredded and folded and gunked and then it sat for a decade hardening.

But now its FREE!  one step closer!  on the plus angle, the leather side is spanking new looking.

sunshade Underside.JPG

So who has an opinion on the purpose of this canvas material?  I'm obviously replacing it, but is it here just to prevent an accidental scrape on the glass or what?  I would rather spray mount something than have this flimsy tape-based deal.  Advice?