Avanti IS a Muscle Car ! Concourse d'Elegance judges say so

Devildog

My old 75 Avanti was selected to be in the Keels and Wheels Concourse d'Elegance (Houston) on May 3, it was awarded the trophy in American Muscle Car class. I was just surprised they even let me in. I did not designate a class...left blank.

A show of this calibre has really nice (damned expensive) Shelby, GTO, 442, etc. invited entrants. The judges were all from out of Texas; they say by their vote Avanti is a muscle car.

Joe

Commodore_zpslj3sbx2u.jpg

trophy%20on%20top_zpsjmmionmm.jpg

Congrats Devildog. Muscle car, GT, Exotic, Special Interest, etc., are just names

For whatever their reasoning your car was singled out for an award by the judging panel.

Unless you bribed them, their call to make.

Well deserving of the recognition as you represent us all.

Classes are so open to interpretation they've almost lost any real meaning. The term"muscle car" does have a specific historical definition but that's been lost over time. So has "restored", "correct", "modified", "classic" and other terms. As Boogieman says, for any particular car show it's up to the judges to set the limits and definitions. There's an annual car show event near me that historically would not allow modified vehicles in...after the local hobby has moved more towards modified cars than original they've begun allowing modifieds as they were losing too many entrants over time.

It's not just in the car world that the definitions have changed. In the firearms world the term "assault rifle" has always had a specific definition...now due to politics, the media, Hollywood and others ignorant of the facts (willfully and otherwise), that term has become bastardized into something it never was. Just sayin'.

congrats!!! I too have previous Concours experiences, 3 years ago I took a first in class and two years ago got 99 out of 100; a muscle car that was a rotisserie restoration-trailer queen, took first. I am going to the Greenwich CT Concours end of this month and hope there are more Studebakers and Avanti's there too.

So, best congrats and enjoy the success; which all of us share

congrats!!! I too have previous Concours experiences, 3 years ago I took a first in class and two years ago got 99 out of 100; a muscle car that was a rotisserie restoration-trailer queen, took first. I am going to the Greenwich CT Concours end of this month and hope there are more Studebakers and Avanti's there too.

So, best congrats and enjoy the success; which all of us share

thanks Mark. My car is not worthy, but hope it helps all the Avanti owners get recognition and have fun.