Avanti Hopes!

mfg

Studebaker hoped to produce how many Avantis for the 1963 model year?...........A) 3000........2) 5000....or......C) 7000

None of the above.

Egbert projected that 20,000 Avantis would be built in 1963 and more for 1964. Initial production was set at 1000 cars per month.

They needed 50 bodies a day and MFG could only furnish 25 a day so the second line was added at South Bend to make the other 25.

A five day week would give them 250 cars and 1000 for the month.

Hmmmmm!....That conflicts with the figure I have (which is more from a 'hands on' engineering perspective)....Anyone else want to weigh in here?

I also have seen 2O,OOO in print somewhere....perhaps the Lamberti papers states for sure?

I also have seen 2O,OOO in print somewhere....perhaps the Lamberti papers states for sure?

20,000!!...They may have hoped for that amount of Avantis or more,.....but considering the size of the operation, and what they were up against....I believe one of the figures offered in the opening question to be more realistic!......Anyone else?

The information in my post is from two books.

Avanti by Thomas E Bonsall

Studebaker: The Post War Years by Richard Langworth.

If you read the Lamberti papers you will see that production would have exceded 7000 cars for the 1963 model year.