Fitting a new cam?

Zedman

Hi All-

Is it possible to fit a new cam into a Chevy engined Avanti II while it is in situ in the engine bay ?  I have an 1981 305 which i believe have some 'suspect' bumpsticks. To be honest, I don't even know if mine is crook- I only ran the engine for 10 mins before tearing the car apart. The engine is in the frame but the body is off and I know I have a 'special' opportunity here. Frankly, though, I just wonder whether I really even need to do this job at all, just let it be and worry about it later- hence my original question.

Steve

9 hours ago, Zedman said:

Hi All-

Is it possible to fit a new cam into a Chevy engined Avanti II while it is in situ in the engine bay ?  I have an 1981 305 which i believe have some 'suspect' bumpsticks. To be honest, I don't even know if mine is crook- I only ran the engine for 10 mins before tearing the car apart. The engine is in the frame but the body is off and I know I have a 'special' opportunity here. Frankly, though, I just wonder whether I really even need to do this job at all, just let it be and worry about it later- hence my original question.

Steve

Pulling the cam requires removing everything on top and the front of the engine. You probably have room to pull the cam but why not take the engine out, put it on an engine stand, check the bearing etc. and then reseal it with new gaskets at a minimum. Way easier to do out of the car.

Also a great opportunity to add a different engine as the 305's are a "bit" anemic. JMO

Lastly, pulling the engine out of an Avanti with the body on is not for the weak of heart, I've done a couple, so take advantage of this opportunity.

Edited by Avanti83