Avanti Motors employees...

Gunslinger

My guess would be word-of mouth...No doubt the factory workers all knew each other, and I doubt very much they had to run an ad in the Tribune

Afterthought,......Some possibly already worked for N A at their South Bend Studebaker dealership.

You got it...both ex-Studebaker and ex-Newman & Altman employees. There was a ready made pool of talent to choose the best from...plus they were already trained and familiar with the product...and worked cheap considering they were out of work and Avanti Motors likely couldn't afford to pay union wages.

From the South Bend newspaper which ran a story when the Avanti II was introduced, most of the employees were in the 60-65 year old range...just the ones who lost the most, pension-wise, when Studebaker closed the doors there. It must have been a God-send to be back at work building cars which was about all they knew.

You got it...both ex-Studebaker and ex-Newman & Altman employees. There was a ready made pool of talent to choose the best from...plus they were already trained and familiar with the product...and worked cheap considering they were out of work and Avanti Motors likely couldn't afford to pay union wages.

In 1970, I was considering buying an Avanti II and visited the factory on a Saturday. While being shown around, management was proud to point out a couple elderly workers who were working on upholstery and a dash in the quiet factory. I was told they were former Studebaker employees who could set their own less than full time work schedule which worked for them as we'll as for Avanti Motors.

From the South Bend newspaper which ran a story when the Avanti II was introduced, most of the employees were in the 60-65 year old range...just the ones who lost the most, pension-wise, when Studebaker closed the doors there.

When I went on the tour of Avanti Motors in 1983, many of them were still working there. Also at Avanti Parts in another building, some of the office staff were also ex-Studebaker employees including a cashier who started with them in 1955.

Craig

I think the Avanti factory became a nostalgic hangout for some former Studebaker employees. During my visit, I was also introduced to Gene Hardig who was wearing one of the "loudest" sport coats I've ever seen and was just strolling through the shut down assembly area (it was a Saturday). He showed me how they verified a smooth idle on the completed cars by checking the flutter of a dollar bill held at the tip of the exhaust pipe. It was an interesting day.

I was at the South Bend factory in '86 not long after Mike Kelly took over. At that point they didn't normally give tours but made an exception for me...must've taken pity on me. I met Mike Kelly...he looked very busy and tired but was quite pleasant and gracious. I don't remember who the person was that gave me the tour but it was quite enjoyable.

The first Avanti LSC's were being finished up with one sitting outside the building. It was quite the experience. I picked up a few items from their gift shop, such as it was...a silver Avanti jacket (I've only ever seen one other), an Avanti tie (I've seen no others) and I believe a drink mug or two that said "The New Avanti Motor Company". After that I toured Newman and Altman and ordered some parts that were shipped home and the old Studebaker National Museum housed in the old Freeman-Spicer dealership building.