Studebaker Training!

mfg

No, they were never made in South Bend.

They were ASSEMBLED in South Bend, BUT, the panels were molded in Astabula Ohio @ MFG (Molded Fiber Glass)

This is my understanding. I have never seen a picture of panels being produced in South Bend (@ Studebaker)

Edited by brad

They were ASSEMBLED in South Bend, BUT, the panels were molded in Astabula Ohio @ MFG (Molded Fiber Glass)

This is my understanding. I have never seen a picture of panels being produced in South Bend (@ Studebaker)

You might be right about that Brad,....but that would also mean that later Avanti ll production was accomplished by using panels previously made by MFG and shipped to Studebaker?...I'm not so sure about that.

That may certainly be correct but that's the first time I've seen it said. I always understood Studebaker "produced" Avanti bodies but maybe it wasn't spefically defined.

MFG did supply complete bodies to Avanti Motors for a time...they had something like 150 bodies leftover when Studebaker cancelled the contract...but at some point they simply supplied body panels and Avanti Motors began assembling them themselves.

Made vs assembled is a mater of semantics. Studebaker and MFG both assembled the Avanti bodies from components produced by both MTG and outside suppliers. The fiberglass panels themselves were molded by MFG in their plant in molds owned by Studebaker.

Gunslinger comment regarding Avanti motors is correct although I don't remember the exact number of left over bodies off hand.

I don't know the exact number, but I understand there were about 150 complete Avanti bodies leftover at MFG when Studebaker cancelled the contract. That's a lot to have sitting around and taking up space. It's no wonder Bob Morrison of MFG was so willing to work with Nate Altman when approached about supplying Avanti Motors with car bodies...it turned a complete loss of money into revenue and got the dead inventory out of the way plus an ongoing revenue stream with continued business.

I don't know the exact number, but I understand there were about 150 complete Avanti bodies leftover at MFG when Studebaker cancelled the contract. That's a lot to have sitting around and taking up space. It's no wonder Bob Morrison of MFG was so willing to work with Nate Altman when approached about supplying Avanti Motors with car bodies...it turned a complete loss of money into revenue and got the dead inventory out of the way plus an ongoing revenue stream with continued business.

Wow!....with 150 completed Avanti bodies on hand when Stude folded, Altman's business proposal to Morrison must have seemed like a godsend to the later!