Avanti Fan!

mfg

True R series engines had the thermostatic clutch and fan. As did AC cars.

Actually, the answer here is..FALSE!...Although all 'R' type engines used a thermostatic clutch fan, the '64 Studebaker Daytona's fan blades were considerably larger in diameter than what is found on a '63 Studebaker Avanti.

Edited by mfg

I was sold an orange viscous style fan for my R2 Avanti but when installed found that it just contacted the top of the shroud so I replaced it with a 15" aftermarket flex fan. What size diameter are the original Lark fans? Does the shape of the notch on the end of each blade make a difference?

Actually two questions...

Edited by StudeNorm

17" all, unless R3 then they are 14"

No brad , that is incorrect. R1 and R2 factory thermostatic fans for the '64 "Lark Type" vehicles were considerably bigger than the standard Avanti 17" fan...I don't have one here (recently sold one) but I'd guess the blade diameter to be at least 18"...possibly more!

I was sold an orange viscous style fan for my R2 Avanti but when installed found that it just contacted the top of the shroud so I replaced it with a 15" aftermarket flex fan. What size diameter are the original Lark fans? Does the shape of the notch on the end of each blade make a difference?

Actually two questions...

You may well have purchased a Studebaker factory viscous fan for a "Lark" type....these "Lark" viscous fans were at least 1" larger in diameter (possibly more) than the standard Avanti (Studebaker) 17" viscous fan...(And by the way ..they are quite rare!)