Lowered Avanti!

mfg

In 1989, Avanti Motors sometimes used which of the following methods to lower the rear of the lighter Avanti fiberglass body after mounting it on the GM chassis?.......1) Cut one coil off of spring,............2) Install 'less stiff' aftermarket springs.....or....3) Heat the spring with a torch to shorten it a bit

Given how Altman-Newman read the market for the Avanti (less "sporting" ), installing 'less stiff' aftermarket springs would have accomplished two goals.

Given how Altman-Newman read the market for the Avanti (less "sporting" ), installing 'less stiff' aftermarket springs would have accomplished two goals.

Reasonable thought,.....but not the answer here!.....Anyone?

I'll take a guess at cutting a coil off the existing springs. That would likely be a less expensive method of obtaining the same results. I think heating the coils would hurt the temper of the material if not very, very careful, plus being a very inconsistent way of achieving equal results spring to spring. Cutting a coil would be a simple measurement to maintain equal results.

I'll take a guess at cutting a coil off the existing springs. That would likely be a less expensive method of obtaining the same results. I think heating the coils would hurt the temper of the material if not very, very careful, plus being a very inconsistent way of achieving equal results spring to spring. Cutting a coil would be a simple measurement to maintain equal results.

I agree,...but believe it or not the answer is #3, they heated them!

Sometimes the 'short way' turns out to be the 'long way'. One '89 Avanti convertible treated in this fashion eventually settled unevenly at the rear, requiring new coil springs.