1983 305 cooling fan

MAF

Hello All, I'm discovering more and more.... 1983 with 305. Appears that previous owner(s) removed all the emission equipment. But my real concern is that they put the radiator cooling fan on the ignition switch, I can think if no good reason for that. So when the key is off so is the cooling fan. I'm getting ready to install an new radiator and would like to know how to put the cooling fan back on a thermostat controlled hookup. Thank you.

I think what you want is a thermostatic switch that operates two ways...it turns the fan on at a specific temperature or when the a/c is turned on, regardless of engine temp. You should be able to find a switch from most auto suppliers...usually makers of electric cooling fans offer them...check Summit Racing or Jegs.

BTW...the aftermarket electric fan on my '70 is switched through the ignition switch and powered directly off the battery. It causes no problems at all without a thermostatic switch. One way to look at it is if you want the fan to keep running after engine shutdown when the temp goes down to a predetermined point...all that's getting cooled is the coolant in the radiator...not the coolant in the block which is where the heat to be reduced is. To reduce the engine heat after shutdown would require an electric water pump as well to keep running and draining the battery.

You can also add a manual switch for the fan to turn it on yourself as you please.

Not written in stone, but I've always thought that all 1983 Avantis came with the conventional engine driven clutch fan and factory fan shroud....Was your Avanti converted to electric fans?

Not written in stone, but I've always thought that all 1983 Avantis came with the conventional engine driven clutch fan and factory fan shroud....Was your Avanti converted to electric fans?

Mine is mechanical on the 83 also. Whether yours are OEM or aftermarket just go to Summit Racing and you'll find a selection of fan controllers. Just pick what looks good and install it to control the way you want. I used this one on my 74 Avanti converted to electric fan. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16749There has been previous discussion on the forum about these and there was some discussion on the reviews. A search of the forum should turn up discussions on this topic.