Does Your Avanti Door Key Turn But Not Engage the Lock ?

Devildog

I drive my Avanti often and wanted to lock the doors while parked. The key would rotate easily fore and aft, I could lock with lever inside, not with key outside. I removed the lock to clean and lubricate and consulted our Guru, Jon Myers in Ohio.

Jon had a couple of good suggestions, but no success. Then I noticed a retainer tab appeared to be bent inward which prevented the handle barrel with key from coupling with the lock. Jon confirmed the retainer should be 90° which would move the lock shaft 3/8 inch outward.

I used a big screwdriver and hammer, be careful the retainer metal is quite soft. I reinstalled in door and works perfect, key will both lock and unlock easily. After doing the passenger side, locking is normal; however, I must pull the handle slightly while turning key to unlock.

Hope this helps someone, several other Houston area Avanti owners had similar issue.

If you use this, you owe me a beer or margarita in St. Louis next year.

Joe

IMG_0329_zpsf20ea9f7.jpg

IMG_0331_zpsf05ae9ca.jpg

IMG_0332_zps338edcae.jpg

Edited by Devildog

You got lucky! The tab that engages the door handle lock was snapped off on mine. Luckily a friend in Canada had one and sold it to me cheap.

Warren, one of the few times I was gentle, usually I break things. That soft tab metal is probably why so many keys do not work, they are bent as pictured from hard handle pulls.

Thanks for pic posting lesson

Joe

Joe

I was able to use enough graphite to loosen both locks up, but I went another route, due to having the (interior) electric door locks on my 76. I put a keyless entry on it that locks and unlocks the doors remotely as well as having a button for the trunk to open the trunk as well. It works great for the doors and brings it a little more into modern times and conveniences.