Saginaw manual box in Avanti

Red350DropTop

I am looking to take some weight/complexity/ leaking hoses off the front of my Avanti. Has anyone installed a Saginaw manual box off a 63-64 Lark? I have an entire setup from box/pitman arm/bellcrank to tie rods.  Best I can tell the shaft could be cut and rag joint fitted to make the existing column work. 

Is the mounting of the Saginaw box different than a Ross?

2 hours ago, Red350DropTop said:

I am looking to take some weight/complexity/ leaking hoses off the front of my Avanti. Has anyone installed a Saginaw manual box off a 63-64 Lark? I have an entire setup from box/pitman arm/bellcrank to tie rods.  Best I can tell the shaft could be cut and rag joint fitted to make the existing column work. 

Is the mounting of the Saginaw box different than a Ross?

The Saginaw steering box would mount to the Avanti frame exactly as the Ross box does....and the steering shaft no doubt could be modified as you describe, however, the Ross box is a pretty sturdy unit....Your present Ross steering box has a 16-1 steering ratio, and Studebaker actually offered that same box, without the power steering attachments, as their 'quick manual steering' option.... If your tires aren't oversize, perhaps you should try disconnecting the power steering ram from the steering bellcrank and drive the car a few miles that way to see if you feel the steering is  too 'heavy'.:)

PS...I assumed we were discussing a Studebaker Avanti or early Avanti ll, but I just noticed your Avanti is a 1987 model, which would have a Chevy chassis....if that's the case, disregard my above suggestion!:o

Edited by mfg
ADDED P.S. !

Wasn't there an early Avanti produced with a Saginaw steering box? I thought Brad Bez had worked on the car. Maybe it was a different steering box but it certainly wasn't a Ross.

pb

Edited by 1963r2

1 hour ago, 1963r2 said:

Was't there an early Avanti produced with a Saginaw steering box? I thought Brad Bez had worked on the car. Maybe it was a different steering box but it certainly wasn't a Ross.

pb

Yes, I believe you are correct....It was one of the early "EX" Studebaker Avantis, and had a (I think) modified Saginaw steering box.

Only question that comes to mind is clearances. It’s the tightest spot on any Avanti (with manual transmission); manifold, covers, bell crank, throttle, cables..... Otherwise, it’s just a gear box and a Pittman arm.....and a big ol frame to drill if you have to. What could go wrong? 😉