Radio Static

mfg

'Blake Avantis', for example a 1983 model, relied on a plastic composite cover over the ignition distributor to help eliminate ignition radio static. Studebaker used expensive stainless steel covers for this purpose....How did Blake pull this off?

If it uses the same distributor cover that Chevrolet equipped Corvettes with, its interior is lined with metal foil. It works, but not nearly as nice looking as the stainless shielding. It was simply a way for GM to accomplish the same job at less expense. I'm guessing Avanti Motors purchased it because it was cheap and available.

Unless it was removed from my 83 the only noise suppression is the plug wires. In my car, there is no noise in the radio that I can detect.

So I'll say false and learn something new about mine if I'm incorrect. Bob

Well, Gunslinger is correct here. '83 Avantis left the factory with a plastic cover over the main distributor head....and indeed did rely on its metal foil interior lining to be effective. I think as AM stations became less popular, and ignition static does not seem to effect the FM band, the factory became less concerned about this problem than in the early sixties.