Search For Recaro Seats

Avanti7

I am a new Avanti II owner and a new AOAI club member. I bought a 1970 at the end of last summer and I have put a couple thousand

miles of enjoyable driving on it. One problem is the command center seats are a pain in the back, literally. I see by reading on our forum

I'm not the only one of us that feels this way. I also see that several of you have changed to Recaro seats. I met a man at a car show last

week that has an 1982 with Recaro seats, he let me sat in his car and I don't believe I have ever sat in a more comfortable seat. So my search for a pair of Recaros begins. Will any Avanti II Recaro seats fit in my "70"? Were there different models of Recaros used in our Avantis? Would they be a direct bolt in? Anything I should be aware of while looking for seats? I have done some searching and haven't

found any. Any suggesting where I should look? I would appreciate any help you guys could give me. Thanks in advance.

Jim

The Avanti floor plan is the same through 1985.

I have a '70 also and I changed to Recaros. I can't say for sure but I believe Avanti Motors used one model of Recaros or at least one primary model. Recaro does not make that model anymore...I called and asked them. I found my Recaros at the York swap meet about five years ago and had them reupholstered to match.

Recaros are not a bolt-in swap. If you find a set without the sliders and mounting brackets, you can order them from Wedge Engineering in California. They have the patterns on file and can get them to you within a couple of weeks. Once you have the sliders and mounts, then they are bolt-in.

If you want Recaros...and they are great...you'll need to find an Avanti being parted out that has them. They didn't become an option until the later 1970's or early 1980's according to option sheets I've seen.

You might try contacting Avanti vendors like Myer's Studebaker or Nostalgic Motors. It's quite possible they might have used seats. I've been to Myer's Studebaker and they have a number of Avantis parted out as needed.

Some have adapted Camaro or Chrysler Sebring seats but I don't know how difficult it is to make the swap...and I doubt if they're equal to Recaro.

Another option is to obtain a pair of Procar seats available through a variety of suppliers like Summit Racing. They make several styles and they at least used to list the Avanti on their list of available mounts. If you find a Procar style you like, just buy the least expensive vinyl version if you plan on having them recovered to match your car. Don't expect them to be Recaro seats but they are decent quality and a not hateful way to go money-wise.

Best of luck finding new seats and welcome to the Forum.

Thanks Gunslinger, I was hoping you would reply to my questions. I saw the pics for your awesome seats and knew I needed to talk to you. I have also seen a video

of, I think, you and your "70" demonstrating the sound of your mufflers. Thanks for all the info on places to search and where to find sliders and mounting brackets.

I will check out Procar seats, but I can honestly say I have never sat in a more comfortable or good looking seat than the Recaro. I will be patient and I'm mental set for a long search if necessary. When I find a set, and say they are in decent shape, what would they be worth? I know they would be worth whatever I am willing to pay. But what would be a fair asking price.

Jim

Don't forget Ebay. Search under Recaro Seats and you may find some choices. I doubt you will find a set from an Avanti but mounting hardware isn't difficult to fab for one. They are not cheap however.

Bob

There are two types of Recaro seats you'll find in Avantis. These are in Avantis from about the mid-70s to early-80s (I think).

_57_zpse1377de9.jpg

These red seats are from the 1984 on. There might be some overlap with 83, but you get the idea.

_12_zps14ca2a0a.jpg

Nostalgic (I think) had a set of pretty ratty Recaros of the second type on eBay for $2100 recently. The second type of Recaros are really hard for some of us larger gentlemen to get in and out of because of that massive bolster.

I like the first type for earlier Avantis, but both are very nice.

When I found my seats at the York swap meet, I paid $300 for both front and rear seats. They were pretty ratty but since I was going to have them recovered anyway it didn't matter. I will say it wasn't inexpensive to have them done in new leather...plus finding the right color was quite a challenge for the upholstery shop I use. It took them quite some time and they eventually had to go to a supplier for aircraft-grade leather to find a match. I had some extras done, like having piping on the edges match the carpet color plus the cost of having the Avanti script embroidered on the seats, so it all made for a pretty expensive thing but I'm quite happy with the results.

After I installed the seats after being reupholstered, I sold the original seats to help offset the costs. I sold them to Jon Myer several years ago. I was at his shop last summer and saw them in an Avanti he was going to resell...I knew them immediately by the upholstery. At least they're having a second life.

To be honest, if I was aware of the Procar seats at the time, I would probably have gone with them as the end result would likely have been significantly less expensive. But you're right...they would not be nearly as comfortable as real Recaro seats.

One other thing I forgot to mention...installing Recaro seats in a pre-1976 Avanti really restricts opening the center console. I don't consider it a big deal and only keep little used items in there...spare fuses and the like.

While I don't know the answer to this...you might contact Recaro and ask them...see if all their seats use the same sliders. If so, any Recaro seats will work as long as you get the sliders and the Avanti spec mounts from Wedge.

Gunslinger I looked at the Procar seats on the Summit website and the Elite lumbar is a good looking seat and looks comfortable. For $370 a seat with the slider, like you said, is not a bad price. I will need to talk to Summit to see if they sell a bracket to fit my Avanti and if they don't I'll check with Wedge. My first choice is still Recaro, but plan "B" is not a bad deal. A restriction on opening the console is not a big deal to me either. I ordered some parts from Jon Myer last week and at that time I ask about Recaros, he said he didn't any but to check with him from time to time. Tomorrow I will call some vendors and ask about seats. Also I call Recaro about sliders. Thanks again for the info.

Jim

• 5 years later...

And, here it is AUG 2019, and I'm also on the hunt for a set of Recaros + sliders. (How time flies!)  I have a 1973... so the same type of situation applies? If any one does happen to know of a set available, your feedback would be appreciated. Thanks! 

Fred Parry