Leather key cases

boogieman

I got the original Avanti leather key case with my '79. It is in very poor shape so I checked with a friend who does leather work about making another.

The case measures 2-3/4" x 1-1/2" (when folded closed), natural leather, a pin on either end for the keys, and a snap on the open side.

Embossed with this on one side:

Avanti Motor Corporation

765 Lafayette Blvd.

South Bend Indiana 46623

and this on the other:

Avanti II (script logo)

If found drop in mail box

He can make one by hand or make an embossing plate for multiple copies.

Wondered if anyone else would be interested and if so how many. This is a unique piece of Avanti automobilia and so very specific to our chosen pursuit.

Cost will be about $20 each which, to me, is a small price for so unique a piece of the Avanti lore.

I just wanted to give the forum an opportunity to have access to these if there is any interest. I would post a picture but the one I have is in very bad condition and barely legible. Let me know so I know how to proceed.

Boogieman

$20 is probably a reasonable price but I don't know how many might be interested. Many...if not most...would be more interested in an original than a reproduction. Originals show up on Ebay occasionally but I don't know what they end up selling for. As you say...the condition of existing examples range from very well used to nearly new...and would likely be of interest to Avanti II owners more than Studebaker Avanti owners. I have one of those floating around somewhere.

Of course...I could be very wrong on that.

If you get a more firm price on them, please let us know. I'm usually interested in anything Avanti...but money talks. One of the original Studebaker Avanti dealer/salesman paint & upholstery example books just sold a few days ago on Ebay for nearly $500. I'd never seen them sell for half of that before...even pristine examples.

Very similar indeed. Mine has a threaded key post on either end and a small tab where the snap is. Basically the same embossing as yours. Mine is in much worse condition though.