Tribute to "Avanti Operation Airlift"...

Gunslinger

IMG_6195_zpsc5cd8d45.jpg

I attended a combination car and air show yesterday at the Hagerstown, MD Regional Airport...the former home of Fairchild AIrcraft. They have a museum there and a number of Fairchild aircraft including this C-82 Packet like the one used for "Operation Airlift" where two of the then new Avanti were flown around the country to introduce the car to dealers.

At the conclusion of the car show the museum people were more than happy to allow me to take photos of my '02 Avanti with their C-82. They loved the story of the airlift and kept calling other museum members over to hear the story. The C-82 shown is the last example of the aircraft that was flying.

What is also very interesting and a surprise to the museum people was that they also own the exact aircraft that was used by Studebaker in 1962 for the airlift! By using the tail number of the aircraft in original airlift photos the plane can be traced to the Hagerstown museum...though it's the fuselage only that seems to have survived...kind of amazing in its own right. I would have expected the odds were the airlift C-82 would have been scrapped or left derelict somewhere in the world, if traceable at all.

I was told that yes...they own that fuselage with that registration number, it's in Wyoming at this time being rebuilt. At some point in the future it will be shipped back to the museum for static display.

What they suggested to me is a really nice proposal if it can worked out and approved. They offered that when the original airlift fuselage is returned, maybe it can be arranged to open the cargo door and attach the ramps so Avanti owners can run their car up the ramp for photos...this would not include driving into the fuselage itself but the ramps only, like their car was being loaded or off-loaded like in 1962.

Then one of the museum guys said "Hell...we can do that with this complete C-82 to make it look even more realistic!" THAT is one great offer. While details would have to be worked out for such an event, with approvals from the museum staff, etc., that would be a wonderful opportunity for Avanti owners with photos ops for the AOAI and SDC at the same time.

It seems to me the best way for this would be for a number of Avantis to have this done in one event rather than putting the museum out for occasional photos. Maybe during or just before the Dover International SDC and AOAI meet next year? Anyone coming from the west can arrange to meet at the museum on the same day and time for photos doing this. They could then caravan afterwards to Dover. While it would certainly be possible to make a day trip out of this during the week of the Dover meet, it's roughly a three hour drive from Dover to Hagerstown which could make it difficult at best for such a day trip with other events going on throughout the week. Such a thing would have to be brought up to the host chapter of the meet. I would think arranging a group meet at Hagerstown prior to Dover would be best as everyone would be on the road anyway.

If this can be pulled off, local Hagerstown, Washington and Baltimore news media can be notified ahead of time for coverage if they wanted to attend...that could also be great publicity for the Avanti marque.

What does everyone think? If we can get some consensus and approvals from the AOAI and SDC hierarchy I'd be happy to work with the Hagerstown Air Museum to see if it can be arranged. It's still not a done deal...they would have to approve it.

Great idea, I like the (eventual) plan to have the original fuselage open for car photos.

If someone wanted to spend the bucks, removable cling-type stickers could be made for the C-82 to partially replicate the "Avanti Airlift" aircraft. Perhaps enough for one side or ones that could be temporarily put lower on the fuselage or nacelle so they could be seen when photographed with a car alongside.

It might be a nice fundraiser for the Fairchild museum...charge Avanti owners $5 or something for a chance to pose...or give the museum something to make it worth their effort to help us out.

Edited by J Boyle

I like the idea of a temporary clingy replicating the originals used in 1962 but I've no idea of the cost for just a one time event. Also...when the original fuselage is rebuilt and displayed...it will be the fuselage only if I understood them correctly...no wings, engine, landing gear, etc., attached. It's to be displayed by itself. That's why their offer of using the complete C-82 is likely the better option...especially in the near term. If something can be organized for a group shoot just prior to the Dover meet that would be the best opportunity in the foreseeable future...I'm not aware of any other large AOAI or SDC meets in this region where any number of Avantis will be present.

A donation to the museum would definitely be called for. I'm not sure the AOAI or SDC should be asked to make a donation but as individuals we could each make reasonable donations for the opportunity. Asking the SDC for a donation when only a minority of members are Avanti owners doesn't seem reasonable. At least the AOAI is composed of Avanti owners or aficionados. Like most museums they definitely can use the financial assistance. If news coverage can be arranged as well, it helps both the museum and the Avanti in the public eye.

What a great confluence. While I am for historical accuracy and authenticity it sounds like getting people and cars together with the display (or to be displayed C-82) may be a logistical problem. Why couldn't the event be 'staged' in Hagerstown for publicity purposes? Need a "like new" 1963 Avanti and photographer. Someone to (re) write the Airlift story. Circulate the photos and story to airplane and auto enthusiast publications. Might even make a few covers. Article brings current interest in Avantis up to date.

Local and mid east owners could personally arrange pics at the Fairchild museum. Wouldn't it be nice to have an Avanti Museum?

Edited by dapy

Gunny, great work.

1.One of my Corvette buddies has display graphics companies, I would think he can make a translucent graphic we could attach temporarily to the C-82 boom for pictures.

I need a good pic of what it looked like also the STUDEBAKER words I see on boom as well as the Avanti graphic.

What is the approximate size of the boom to get the size scaling correct?

I would think $200 should cover the cost of a quality reusable graphic for Avanti photo work. Donate it to the museum at an appropriate "Washington DC Regime IRS' value. the museum could use as a daily story board to tell the Avanti-C82 history

2.The 2014 Stude-Avanti meet is June 28-July 5 in Dover MD. I know there will be some Avanti's "in area" that is good time to get a gaggle of Avantis to do a photo day.

Joe

Edited by Devildog

Joe...it does say "Studebaker" on the tall boom. What the dimensions of the boom are to make an estimation of sign size I can't say. That can be found out though, I'm sure.

My hope is that we can work with the museum and schedule an Avanti day so they'll only have to make the effort once in arranging the plane to be positioned and ramps attached for photos. I also feel the best time would be the Saturday or Sunday prior to the start of the Dover, DE meet...there's more chance of Avantis being on the road from many points of the compass that can meet whichever day can be arranged.

The sight of a number of Avantis would be worth a photo story in the AOAI magazine and SDC's Turning Wheels. Hopefully it would also be newsworthy enough to attract the attention of the news media in the area. Besides the local area newspapers Hagerstown has an NBC affiliate that could be contacted and invited. Of course, there's no way of making them cover it but it could be promoted as human interest or whatever rather than a hard news story.

The Hagerstown airport is very easy to get to...the entrance is literally no more than a half-mile from Interstate I-81. The end of the runway is right off the highway itself. The area where the planes are kept parked is a little further away...right behind a a pizza place (hint!).

This would be a worthwhile project to do. We would need some kind of idea how many Avantis would actually show...not much point in going to all this effort if too few can make it. We could also see it get ruined by inclement weather which is beyond anyone's control. No matter how well this might be organized it would be a calculated risk regarding weather. More than likely it would be hot that time of year and sudden thundershowers would not be unexpected.

As I said before, I'd be happy to work on this once we have some idea how many would commit. We need to spread the word...not just here. I've also posted my original message and photo on the SDC Forum as well. I'll send a message to Lew, the Avanti Magazine editor and see if something can be mentioned in an upcoming issue of the magazine.

I live barely more than a half hour from the Hagerstown airport so it makes it easy for me to help on this. For anyone interested here is the website for the Hagerstown Aviation Museum...http://www.hagerstow...tionmuseum.org/.

Let's keep discussing this and we'll see if we can make it happen. There's been talk of raising the Avanti profile in the public's eye...here's an opportunity.

Gunny,

I can get the editor of Auto Enthusist magazine to do an article...about 20,000 circulation.

We can do this.

Just need a good side pic of the tail boom with the STUDEBAKER and Avanti graphic to do our graphic.

Joe

Send me your email address by private message or text it to my mobile 713 480 7587 so I can send attachments easier. I have Dave's email (DAPY) and he is about 15 miles from me.

Back to the future. Anytime: 'Stage' an event at Hagerstown. News value/interest is the historic Airlift with the "original" Avanti and airplane. No worry about weather, or time of year, or having a bunch of Avantis. Could be a Fairchild Museum 'event'. Its about getting broad national publicity...magazines, et-al.

Make the Dover/Hagerstown convention arrangements. Lot's of time for that and not really in Avanti owner's control. Not close, not easy.

Joe...Let me know what I can do to help with signage. We need to look at the AOAI Directory to get manpower from MD/DE Avanti owners.

Edited by dapy

For this to happen, several things have to fall into place before too much effort is spent. The two major items are:

1) will enough Avanti owners commit to showing up on whatever date is selected as best?

2) will the Hagerstown Aviation Museum agree to such a meeting, including positioning the C-82 appropriately with ramps attached? Just because one museum person made the offer doesn't make for official permission. Also...what restrictions or conditions might be placed on us?

I'm happy to contact the museum and make the request and see what kind of an answer we get. If they ultimately won't go along there's no point in going further. I can present it in such a way as to promote both the historical aspect regarding Avantis plus raising the profile for the museum in the media. Any coverage in the AOAI magazine or the SDC Turning Wheels can also be provided to the museum for its own history.

We need not just more ideas from members to help it happen, but getting the word out to as many owners as possible. I've already sent a message to Lew Shucart, the Avanti magazine editor about this. Maybe we can get some kind of notice in the next issue to promote the idea.

As of now, this is not an official project of the AOAI and is something we can do on our own, though AOAI approval would be nice. For all I know the Aviation Museum might require some official sanctioning by the AOAI before agreeing. This is the kind of thing that needs to be worked out.

I will send a letter to the Aviation Museum about this and see where we stand...yea or nay. I can also contact the AOAI officials and ask their opinions...we cannot represent ourselves as anything but individual Avanti owners unless the AOAI gives approval. I would think doing so as AOAI members and not individuals makes a better impact.

There's no local AOAI chapter to help...so it can't be a chapter project...just members working together.

If anyone else has other thoughts and ideas please feel free to bring them up. I believe this has many potential pluses for the Avanti marque and can't see any downsides other than time spent.

Edited by Gunslinger

I'd love to bring my Avanti, but cross country is a bit too far. Now if I could get it a lift in a C-82 (or C-119, C-123, C-124, C-130, C-141, C-5, C-17... :) ).

BTW: My father flew C-82s in the late 40s while stationed in Tennessee.

Edited by J Boyle

Update...I received a very positive response from Lew Shucart, the magazine editor. The idea has been forwarded to the AOAI President for discussion with the board. If this becomes an official AOAI project it will be a huge plus. Let's hope it does.

Great idea and work to set this in motion Gunny! I'm planning on driving to Dover from the Chicago suburbs and would love to get that type of a photo op. I'm sure Lew Shucart would love to have that as a feature in the magazine. Hope all the details get worked out.

I haven't posted more on this as things may be in motion for an event. Lew is very supportive of the idea but it will take more than just him to make it happen. As things are decided which direction to take this it will be made known. I don't want to promise or let on to anything that may not work out. There should be be something regarding this idea in the next issue of Avanti Magazine.

There seems to be a lot of positive interest and I hope the enthusiasm can be maintained. There's a bit more in making this an event than I can say right now as it's still a possibility. Let's hope we can pull this off.