Need parts for 1978 Avanti II

davette59

Just bought a 1978 Avanti on eBay and when I received it the car was nothing like the pictures and it needs bunches of work.

I need seat adjustment slides because the previous owner took them out and bolted seats to floor with steel brackets. No adjustment at all.

Also, I need lots of interior items starting with new wood overlay for the dash, if anyone makes them. The existing wood is all cracked and the finish is non existent. The number two is missing from the trunk emblem as well. This is just for starters.

Try calling Nostalgic Motors in Wixom, Mich. for your seat tracks. 1-800-Avanti-X. Dan Booth has much of the parts you might need. He bought it all from the South Bend factory.

For the woodgraining on the interior panels, try contact Crin in southern Illinois, just east of St. Louis. contact him through his website.

He does great wood graining work. Also upholstery work too. We are having him finish up the seats and interior vinyl for a '64 Avanti.

http://www.undercoverupholsteryandpaint.com

Basically I believed the seller because he sounded honest and the car was 600 miles away so I couldn't just go and look at it. I am very trusting person and tend to believe most people are honest. This car was a bid item and with the pictures and description it looked great. When I asked the seller if it was in good enough shape to drive back from it's location, he stated that it was in such good shape it could be driven to California. That would really have been a mistake since the gas gage doesn't work, it is only running on seven cylinders and the tires are all cracked and dry rotted. The seller took off the new tires and rims that were on it when he bought it and installed the old steel rims and rotted tires. He didn't know that I was able to see the pictures of what it looked like when he bought it about seven months ago for $3,800.00 less than what I paid for it and he did nothing to it in that time. I didn't have access to this previous listing where he bought it until I purchased it and got the serial number.

In hind site, I should have contacted the local Studebaker club in that area and offered a member $100 to go and evaluate the condition for me. Oh well, you live and learn not to be so trusting.

Although I feel that I took a beating, it was entirely my fault for trusting the seller and buying site unseen. Now I just need to make the most of it. I figure it will cost me approximately another $7,000.00 to get it to a very presentable condition with about $5,000.00 of that being a paint job. I think about $3,500.00 to get it to the condition I expected it to be in when I bought it.

Don't blame yourself...you're not responsible for another's dishonesty. It's easy to call it a lesson learned but that's small solace.

You are right about making the most of it. You have basically three things to do...sell it and cut your losses...part it out and maybe break even...or, rebuild the car. Rebuilding the car make not make much sense financially, but you can do the car the way you would order it new...whatever color scheme and interior you like. That's the beauty of Avanti II's...none are really alike as all were ordered to personal tastes and desires. Rebuilding the car surely means sinking more money into it, but you have the resources of everyone on the forum who has done the same thing...the tips, shortcuts, how to do things as economically as possible, where to find parts, etc. Plus...you will have saved another Avanti.

The tires don't have to be viewed too badly...yes, it's a pain to have to replace them. But...you can find a set of wheels that enhance the car plus buy tires that you want. Money to be spent...yes. But you can personalize the car even more with the wheels. If that car has original Avanti steel rims that not too many Avanti II's came with...they're worth some nice $ to those who want the original rims for a Studebaker with disc brakes. There's always ways of recovering and offsetting some of the costs.

One thing about your estimates on prices...don't be surprised if it costs more. Once you start you may well find problems that weren't visible before. Once you've discovered them, not fixing them makes for problems down the road.

It's a decision you have to think long and hard about before making. Best of luck and don't hesitate to ask questions here. We've all discovered workarounds and alternative modifications on some things as necessary.

davette59,

I play the eBay game and have bought a couple of Avantis and an MGA there. I would like to know more about the circumstances of your purchase and plans for the car. Also location. We can do a 305 rebuild/exchange inexpensively in Houston. Likely you will want to do that with a dead cylinder.

Rather than discuss here I suggest you email or call me. Dave Pyle dap8@comcast.net or 713 464 6717