Front Brake Upgrade

bobconant

Dear Folks, I am at my wits end and I'm sure someone in the club knows the answer. I have a 1982 Avanti II and the front brakes have been upgraded. A previous owner said this was done around 1993 using a kit from Dave LeVesque. In order to be able to service this, I would like to know what parts were used. The previous owner thought it used Ford discs and Mopar calipers. I have tried to reach Dave LeVesque with no luck. The phone numbers in Johnstone's website are no longer active, a number from Whitepages is also inactive. I tried to call Turner Brake on the outside chance they might know what LeVesque supplied (Turner states GM calipers and Ford rotors for their kits). I get no answer at Turner Brake. So......what I would like to know is:

Front brake pads numbers

Front calipers and pistons

Brake disc rotor

Front wheel bearings

Front grease seals.

If anyone knows what make and model discs and calipers were used I might be able to look up the rest. Thank you in advance for any information anyone can supply.

Cheers,

Bob

RQB 3420

The rotors are supposedly from a full-size 1968 Ford Galaxie, the same seals and wheel bearings as the Ford (they may be the stock Avanti seals and bearings). The calipers are supposedly from 1970's era large Mopars. I can't guarantee that info is solid but what I've seen was used in the Steeltech kit.

If you pull the pads off, there may still be a visible number imprinted on the metal backing plate. That should be the industry number to identify it. I also understand the Ford rotor is difficult to find as it's a one year only application from what I understand.

Dear Avanti and Studebaker friends,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This information, including the STD forum should answer my questions once I get all that information sorted out.

You folks rock!

Bob

RQB 3420

Bradenton, FL

David LeVesque's business card lists his phone number as 618-997-4238

Dear PLwindlish,

Thank you but this phone number returns an "out of service" response when I call it.

Bob

Dave has been out of the Stude parts business and off the grid for several years now. He did a lot of good work, but seemingly over-extended his ability to manage the process and deliver the parts.

In any case, all the parts were common '60s Ford and Mopar, but now they're nearly as difficult to source as Studebaker parts.

jack vines