Took Avanti to the drag races yesterday

Devildog

We had a nostalgic drag race in Houston yesterday. I ran the Avanti (1975), 1/4 mile 15.1 sec 99 MPH, I think a strong R2 time would be 16 sec 93-95 MPH. As we know our Avanti's are light in the rear end, even though I have 235R70 tires, I had to sort of 'drive off' the starting line before giving full power.

Everyone was impressed with how well the Avanti did. So we showed them our Avanti's are not just pretty but can perform right with the muscle cars of the day.

Joe

Edited by Devildog

Nice going! I remember reading that the Due Cento at Bonneville required several hundred pounds of chains as ballast in the trunk for traction on the salt. The front/rear weight bias imbalance was recognized early on.

I forget, is your motor stock? That's a pretty good ET!

Nearly stock. I tore all the emissions equipment and air pump off of it. Then timed it as a SBC should be at about 18 degree initial (38 total) advance . But, unfortunately, it is still the weenie low compression (8.5 dished pistons) and the 333882 heads. The 700R4 tranny may help a little but the poor traction probably negates any tranny benefits in the 1/4 mile.

These engines were rated by GM only as 175 hp and 305 ft of torque. By the optimized non-emmissions timing probably a little more hp and torque.

Joe

Edited by Devildog

Should be about the same as mine, then. If it had an air pump, it's long gone and I removed the charcoal canister. Mine has a Holley replacement for the original quadrajet and has an HEI distributor, but otherwise seems stock. Moves pretty well, but I don't plan on racing anybody.

I had the 400 SBC in my 76 rebuilt 2 years ago, cranking out 365 hp and 460 ibs torque before it was put back in. I may have to see what it will do this summer now that its broken in and has over 10,000 miles on it.

I had the 400 SBC in my 76 rebuilt 2 years ago, cranking out 365 hp and 460 ibs torque before it was put back in. I may have to see what it will do this summer now that its broken in and has over 10,000 miles on it.

The 400SBC are great. They had a stigma of inadequate cooling between the cylinders, steam vents, etc., but torque monsters. That is why it difficult to find good used 400SBC from an old Caprice, etc.

DART started making a new 400SBC steel casting (their aluminum 400SBC are popular with racers). I put one of these new iron DART 400SBC in my 61 Corvette. It was 270hp/283 2 x 4WCFB carb car that I have had for 40+years. The goal was to make it look just like the original 270/283. It does, I painted those beautiful 200cc DART orange to disquise and even put JB weld 'diamonds' on the ends of the heads to make look original.

With all my 50 year old components bolted on the DART 400 and Heads, it dynoed 496 hp and 470 ftlbs. With a modern intake and Holley 750, it dynoed 555 hp and 480 ftlb.

On the Avanti I will put some modern heads and better cam in some time...those damned 8.5 compression dished pistons still limit you to about 9.0-9.2 compression even with new aluminum 64 cc heads.

Still the Avanti is great car and much fun.

Joe