1979 Avanti II Value

sawczak

I am thinking about selling my 1979 Avanti II. It has about 37,000 miles and I had a new exhaust put on it. One of the hog troughs is bad and 2 years ago we started to work on painting it. We have not made much progress in that area so I'm thinking of selling it. Does anyone know what a project car like this should bring? It does run and I drove it up until 2 years ago. It has the Nardi wheel and Ricarro leather seats. Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

Unfortunately a bad hog trough puts a serious hit on any Avanti's value. I doubt if any late '70s Avanti has that much market value to begin with...actually you can say that about most American cars of that era. Some might say bad hogs reduces it to parts car status simply due to the expense involved in replacing them. Hog troughs are structurally necessary and the car's integrity is compromised if either or both are bad.

Value? Tough to say, especially as the car needs paint from what you say. The Nardi steering wheel was standard in that car I believe and the Recaros are a plus...they were roughly a $1000-$1200 option when they became available. Without seeing the car, I would think that either as a project or even for parts, it's probably worth no more than $4000-$6000 tops...quite possibly even less. Replacing the hogs will run at least $4000 if a body shop does it...it's best done with the body off. If the body comes off one may as well replace both hogs.

That's a tough decision to make...Avantis don't really have a lot of value in the market as they're considered more or less a cult type car. The end value of a restored car isn't there to make fixing them financially worthwhile in too many cases. That's sad...the Avanti has everything going for it...exclusivity, rarity, performance, striking appearance...everything but market value.

Posted by Gunslinger

That's a tough decision to make...Avantis don't really have a lot of value in the market as they're considered more or less a cult type car. The end value of a restored car isn't there to make fixing them financially worthwhile in too many cases. That's sad...the Avanti has everything going for it...exclusivity, rarity, performance, striking appearance...everything but market value.

I think Bruce is right on. I purchased 1974 RQB-2123 in August 2011 for $3500 on Ebay. Hog troughs were toast and it needs paint bad. That was all it would draw in bids and it is the second to last four speed manufactured.

Let's take the $4000 number for HT's and add $6000 minimum for paint although probably more and you have a $10000 bill for starters. Add to that any interior work necessary and the initial cost $3500 for mine and you have the cost of a very nice original or restored car without all the trouble.

Now you know why I do all my own body and mechanical work.

It's a shame because they are great cars to drive and have the best of both worlds with Studebaker style/body and SBC drive trains but "What is --- is.

Good luck with yours, Bob

Thanks for your input. I knew it wouldn't be worth too much with the hog trough missing and the need for a paint job. But your rough estimates were helpful so I don't just give it away. Thanks again.

Steve