front brake calipers???

Tony S

The front calipers on my 76 are sticking and I was curious to see if they were readily available. When I search the major sites they come up with the GM metric type caliper as the ones that are supposed to be on the car even going back a few years. The calipers on my car look like the Bendix two piston type with the solid rotors. The GM type obviously are wrong for the car. I know the Turner set up uses this GM caliper with a ford disc. Do I have the earlier brakes on my car??

Tony, they are available, but I don't know the cost. I have the set I had taken off my 76 last November and good rotors as well. I went with the Turner Brake system that Jim Turner sells. They are bolt on, have a ford rotor and GM calipers. The GM calipers give you a lot more stopping power and don't have the annoying squeal the old ones are prone to. Google Turner Brake Systems and you'll find his site. I heard that replacement rotors for our car are now $200. In the long run, the Turners will be more economical. PM me if you are interested in my old set which worked well but did squeal quite frequently when the brakes were applied.

I agree completely...go with the Turner kit and you'll be way ahead. The kit will run you less than the new rotors and reproduction calipers on the market...plus they come with hoses, bearings, seals...everything but the labor to install them.

While I don't want to see the vendors that sell the oe style parts get hurt, it's simply more economical to use the Turner kit plus newer automotive technology. BTW - the vendors who sell the oe style brake parts also sell the Turner kit. So unless you're purist, there's no reason not to make the upgrade.

I agree that the turner set up is the way to go . I was really looking for a set of caliper seals for the bendix calipers just to get me on the road if i could clean the bores and pistons. I also need the full set of control arm bushings and hog troughs. I am streched a little thin at the moment and thought if I could get the stock brakes and bushings in for the mean time I would register the car and use it occasionally. I have a triumph gt6 for sale and if I sell it I will have some cash for the two current projects, my TVR and Avanti. I would have thought the seals were easy to get but most major sites don't even acknowledge the bendix calipers.

I agree that the turner set up is the way to go . I was really looking for a set of caliper seals for the bendix calipers just to get me on the road if i could clean the bores and pistons. I also need the full set of control arm bushings and hog troughs. I am streched a little thin at the moment and thought if I could get the stock brakes and bushings in for the mean time I would register the car and use it occasionally. I have a triumph gt6 for sale and if I sell it I will have some cash for the two current projects, my TVR and Avanti. I would have thought the seals were easy to get but most major sites don't even acknowledge the bendix calipers.

The seals are available from Studebaker International, and other Studebaker parts vendors, I suppose. The seals are essentially a flat rubber washer on each piston. The dust cover seals can be re-used if not damaged. The question is how badly rusted your calipers are, and whether you can get a leak-free seal if they are badly pitted. Given the cost vs. new calipers, it may be worth a try. I would suggest getting a copy of the shop manual that outlines the proper procedures for changing the seals. You can damage the calipers if you do it incorrectly.

I have a triumph gt6 for sale and if I sell it I will have some cash for the two current projects, my TVR and Avanti.

An Avanti AND a TVR to rebuild? You're truly a glutton for punishment! More power to you for it!