Surge tank

davepink53

My '71 Avanti 2 is fitted with a surge tank to the cooling system. I thought that Avanti 2 did away with them. Is there a kit similar to the one for '63/4, to do away with it?

Thanks, Dave...

Avanti Motors did eventually do away with them. They're essentially an original Studebaker surge tank modified. My '70 originally came with one...I'm not sure when they actually stopped using them. It was probably the early to mid-'70s.

The same kit that fits the '63-'64 Avanti works with an Avanti II. You can get a kit from either Nostalgic Motors or Studebaker International.

Edited by Gunslinger

My '70 originally came with one...I'm not sure when they actually stopped using them.

They did stop using the original brass Stude-style tank (with side outlet & hose to the thermostat housing rather than bottom outlet)... my '71 has that setup, as did a '66 I owned. They later used a then-commonly-available aftermarket kit, a near-square milk-color plastic overflow tank mounted in the right front corner of the engine compartment using a wire-frame support bracket. A small-diameter hose (3/8ths?) runs across the top of the radiator support to the overflow tank.

I think my '80 has the newer setup... too late to go out in the dark to look, but I'd be glad to take photos later if anybody requests them.

I'm attaching a pic of the '66 tank

Well, I guess I can't attach a file, it says I've already used my 500k quota for uploading files (so, is it a lifetime quota, or what?). http://www.aoai.org/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

...apparently emoticons don't work, either.

Edited by WayneC

What you can do to add photos is to use an online site like Photobucket (there are others), make an account and upload your photos there. Then when you want to post something here you can use the "Insert Image" link to post your pics.

What you can do to add photos is to use an online site like Photobucket (there are others), make an account and upload your photos there. Then when you want to post something here you can use the "Insert Image" link to post your pics.

Yeah, I guess, but Photobucket won't host your pictures forever, eventually they go away (in fact, I had an account in Photobucket, and IT went away, so I just now created a new one). Not sure when or how long ago I used up my upload "quota" on this site, or why the old uploads didn't go away, too. :(

Thanks for enlightening me.

'66 Avanti surge tank

Edited by WayneC

My '71 Avanti 2 is fitted with a surge tank to the cooling system. I thought that Avanti 2 did away with them. Is there a kit similar to the one for '63/4, to do away with it?

Thanks, Dave...

Dave, my 73 had a square plastic bottle as others have sucessfully commented on. My 64 R2 has the original surge tank which I have had repaired twice by Jon Myers. I have sent hime 2 others for resoration which when returned were beautiful. Sadly, after only 125 to 150 miles the solder fails and tiny leaks occur again and again and again. I am investigating a number of fabricators to make me a new one out of stainless steel. So far those investigations have not been fruitful. So, I will continue to look and look and look. I would really like to find NOS; I would buy 3 or 4 if I could.

Mark

Dave, my 73 had a square plastic bottle as others have sucessfully commented on. My 64 R2 has the original surge tank which I have had repaired twice by Jon Myers. I have sent hime 2 others for resoration which when returned were beautiful. Sadly, after only 125 to 150 miles the solder fails and tiny leaks occur again and again and again. I am investigating a number of fabricators to make me a new one out of stainless steel. So far those investigations have not been fruitful. So, I will continue to look and look and look. I would really like to find NOS; I would buy 3 or 4 if I could.

Mark

Thanks for all of the replies. My tank is still working OK but looks ugly and I think that it is only a matter of time before it lets me down. We have had the tank on our '63 R1 rebuilt about 8 months ago and it is leaking already, so we are going to put a conversion kit on it first. then the same to the '71.

Regards Dave...