New proud owner '77 Avanti II.....Spare tire cover????

Norgermish

Hi all,

I am a new owner of a 1977 Avanti II, it was sort of a sad acquisition because the original owner my dear friend passed away, but he left me the car. It is in pretty good shape, some electrical issues. Original 350 'vette engine new paint and interior...red velour 8)

The trunk has an electric push button in the glove box, the fuse there kept blowing and the trunk wouldn't open. After finding the problem got the button to work but the mechanism in the trunk was not engaging, finally got the trunk opened and working.....Anyway I am just learning these cars and I went to check under the tire cover but I can't get the damn cover off!!!!???? it seems there is some sort of latch but anyway I try it doesn't release the cover. Is there some trick to these things???? I would really appreciate some help, feeling really stupid.

Reverse lights don't work, interior lights don't work...other small issues but really enjoy driving this car. My friend Ed loved his Avanti's over the years and I am proud to drive his "ride".

By the way anyone know where the reverse light switch is located on this car. I believe it is a Turbo 400 trans but not positive.

Any help appreciated

Photo of cover release include and a couple pics of car (sorry about the mess inside been working in there) :)

post-9409-13156727602549_thumb.jpg

post-9409-13156727743317_thumb.jpg

post-9409-13156728585181_thumb.jpg

Edited by Norgermish

Welcome to Avanti's and the AOAI! The Avanti can be the most fun, satisfying and frustrating car you can own...not necessarily in that order.

First...if you didn't get them with the car, obtain copies of the Avanti Shop and Parts Manuals...they're available in reprint form and on CD, plus originals are regularly seen on Ebay. The manuals are for the original Studebaker Avanti so they're not always applicable to your '77...different drivetrain, added options and other modifications made over time...but the information they have is still relevant and VERY helpful.

One thing about Avanti's (and any car with a fiberglass body and electrical issues)...grounds, grounds, grounds! Always look for poor electrical grounds when dealing with electrical problems. After all these years, light sockets can be rusted, bulbs burned out or their bases heavily corroded.

With your interior lights...did you try them by the manual switches or simply from opening the doors? If they work with the manual switches then you may have bad door jamb switches...or bad light bulbs. Always check the obvious first before tearing things apart.

For the electric trunk switch blowing fuses, follow the wiring and see where it might be pinched, broken or otherwise touching ground. It shouldn't be too tough to find the short but working under the dash can be maddening as it's very cramped...unless you have the hands of a six year old. Wiring from the dash area back to the trunk is a pain as well. If you have to, simply run a new wire from a 12v source to the switch then to the trunk...with a new fusible link.

There is a procedure for opening a locked trunk...we can explain it if you need it. The shop manual has the procedure as well.

The backup light switch is located by the transmission attached to the shifter. That's assuming you have a defective one. Again...check grounds, whether the bulbs are good or the sockets are corroded.

Again...welcome and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your car.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyway I am just learning these cars and I went to check under the tire cover but I can't get the damn cover off!!!!???? it seems there is some sort of latch but anyway I try it doesn't release the cover. Is there some trick to these things???? I would really appreciate some help, feeling really stupid.

My recollection is that the latch is a simple over-center lever, so lifting up one end of the metal rectangular lever should free it...

then just move the latch clear and lift & slide the cover towards you to lift it free from the car, as there are no hinges holding it in.

But, modern tires are fatter than the ones used when the Avanti was designed, so the tire well isn't deep enough; its possible the

prior owner forced the latch closed, so that the tire is applying a LOT of pressure to the cover and lever, holding the lever forcefully

in the closed position. Your photo seems to confirm that.

You should be able to tell (by inspecting the latch) which end of the rectangle to lift (the longest end, furthest end from trunk lid, most likely);

holding pressure down very hard on the cover, near the latch, like kneeling on it, might compress the tire a tad and make it

easier to release the latch... and/or, use something to pry the latch lever up.

The far end of the cover (toward the passenger compartment) is just held in place by a narrow ledge it slides beneath.

I haven't latched mine in many years, so my cover simply serves as a flat loose "mat" between the tire and whatever is in the trunk.

Anyway I am just learning these cars and I went to check under the tire cover but I can't get the damn cover off!!!!???? it seems there is some sort of latch but anyway I try it doesn't release the cover. Is there some trick to these things???? I would really appreciate some help, feeling really stupid.

Looking at your first photo, it appears that the over-center latch mechanism is already released and clear. This latch, and the forward edge of the board being tucked under, should be all that should be holding the cover in place. At this point, I would try to work an implement like a wide screwdriver under the rear lip of the cover near the latch, and lift. The underside of the plywood may just be stuck to the tire.

If the cover still refuses to move, I would suspect that a P.O. added some other method to hold the cover, because the latch wouldn't close due to the thickness of the tire. I see that the carpeting is not original. Feel around the middle of the cover to see if there might have been a long bolt or all-thread with a nut on top added, running down through the middle of the spare wheel. There might be a flap in the carpet to get to it. It's a long shot, but I've encountered stranger modifications on Avantis.