Leg room

pjd822

I am 6'2" tall and the leg room in my '63 Avanti is far from adequate. Has anyone fabricated seat brackets to mount the driver's seat further back? I wouldn' t care if they were adjustable. Thanks, Paul

I'm 6'3" and leg room has not been a problem for me...my problem was the steering wheel into my belly and getting my thighs under it sliding across the seat. I did have the seat tracks modified by having extensions welded to them to allow the seat to go further back. Changing to a smaller diameter steering wheel made a big difference as well.

What I ultimately did to cure the problem was when I changed to a pair of Recaro seats from a late Avanti II being parted out. The mounting bracket and sliders on the Recaro's served to give me adequate room without modifications to them. While not original to the car, the Recaro's are so much more comfortable I should have done so earlier.

I ended up selling the original seats and modified sliders.

• 2 months later...

Agree, the OEM seats are too close and too upright. I changed the seats completely, going with some leather heated 6-way power seats from a brandX import. Being able to put the seat at the distance, angle and rake I like completely changed the feel of the car.

Yes, the stock seats can be moved back and put at a bit more of an tilt also.

jack vines

Agree, the OEM seats are too close and too upright. I changed the seats completely, going with some leather heated 6-way power seats from a brandX import. Being able to put the seat at the distance, angle and rake I like completely changed the feel of the car.

Yes, the stock seats can be moved back and put at a bit more of an tilt also.

jack vines

Jack

Any particular model or brand you have in mind for the Brand X seats for the Avanti.

Try Procar seats Procar seat. They have a number of seat styles available and also make the adapters to fit an Avanti. If you want, simply buy the least expensive and recover them to match your interior or use them as-is.

I've seen them sold at Pep Boys and in the Summit Racing catalog as well as through the company's website.

• 4 weeks later...
Jack, any particular model or brand you have in mind for the Brand X seats for the Avanti?
The best seats of any car I've ever sat in are the Saab 9000 Aero. Good luck finding those, but most any late Saab has leather, heated, 6-way power and can be made to fit the Avant.

jack vines