R-2 with a grill

j the teacher

I remember seeing photos of that car (or one like it) that the owner installed a grille from an older Porsche in an attempt to help with cooking. In the last year or so I saw on one of the forums (AOAI or SDC) that the current owner of the car either has or intends to restore the front end to proper appearance.

It's hard to improve on Loewy's creation...this is proof of it.

Recently on Hemmings blogs, but originally from Casey/artandcolor 1980s car show

Well this is very strange.....does anyone recognize it?

AvantiRmodel.jpg

HAHAHAHA Thanks for the laugh. Yes that car was real. I bought that car about 2 years ago from the son of the 2nd owner who was a Studebaker dealer for a long time. I had the car shipped from North Florida to N.J. where I live. First thing was a complete service. After driving the car about 250 miles, I began a full frame on restoration. To be included was complete suspension and brakes and new exhaust system. Rebuilt the transmission and a few electrical issues. Then I drove the car for another 3-500 miles. Ugh, the looks were amazing that I got. Not a problem as I wore a Nixon mask; only kidding. Then the car went into the shop for full repaint, fiberglass repair of the front grill and reverse hood scoop. Also included was all new rubber for all windows,doors,etc. The front and rear bumper was re-chromed as was the bonnet and valve covers. New carpet was custom cut with extra padding and sound proffing. About a few months later; for the next winter, I had the engine rebuilt professionally-blueprint and balanced. Jon Myer is currrently rebuilding the Paxton as I heard some noise that would only develop into a bigger problem. So, all in all, the car is perfect and beautiful. I have a 45lb box of every receipt from the previous owners with every article ever writen, all Studebaker service parts, records, paint formulas and more.

Love that car. I will include a photo later this week.

thanks for the inquiry. Mark R5470 1964 Avanti R2

HAHAHAHA Thanks for the laugh. Yes that car was real. I bought that car about 2 years ago from the son of the 2nd owner who was a Studebaker dealer for a long time. I had the car shipped from North Florida to N.J. where I live. First thing was a complete service. After driving the car about 250 miles, I began a full frame on restoration. To be included was complete suspension and brakes and new exhaust system. Rebuilt the transmission and a few electrical issues. Then I drove the car for another 3-500 miles. Ugh, the looks were amazing that I got. Not a problem as I wore a Nixon mask; only kidding. Then the car went into the shop for full repaint, fiberglass repair of the front grill and reverse hood scoop. Also included was all new rubber for all windows,doors,etc. The front and rear bumper was re-chromed as was the bonnet and valve covers. New carpet was custom cut with extra padding and sound proffing. About a few months later; for the next winter, I had the engine rebuilt professionally-blueprint and balanced. Jon Myer is currrently rebuilding the Paxton as I heard some noise that would only develop into a bigger problem. So, all in all, the car is perfect and beautiful. I have a 45lb box of every receipt from the previous owners with every article ever writen, all Studebaker service parts, records, paint formulas and more.

Love that car. I will include a photo later this week.

thanks for the inquiry. Mark R5470 1964 Avanti R2

Will love to see the pix of the 64 R 2 looking like a beautiful bride and not the ugly step sister with braces! As was said in one of the other replies, Its hard to improve on the original. Some have tried different headlights ala a blue one in Wisconsin that has two wide slanted headlights and one I had seen a picture of recently that had 4 headlights up front. They all look cartoon-ish when lined up next to the originals. With all the work you are getting done on the R 2, better change out the 45 lb box for a 4 drawer file cabinet! Good luck with all the work.

plwindish

• 2 weeks later...

Will love to see the pix of the 64 R 2 looking like a beautiful bride and not the ugly step sister with braces! As was said in one of the other replies, Its hard to improve on the original. Some have tried different headlights ala a blue one in Wisconsin that has two wide slanted headlights and one I had seen a picture of recently that had 4 headlights up front. They all look cartoon-ish when lined up next to the originals. With all the work you are getting done on the R 2, better change out the 45 lb box for a 4 drawer file cabinet! Good luck with all the work.

plwindish

I am still laughing at the photo before I restored her. I am away for another week and have the memory card with the currrent pictures in NJ So In about 10 days I will submit beautiful photos, thanks for your interest and sense of humor too.

Mark