WHAT REPLACEMENT BRAKE PADS?

Red63R3

Am now ready to replace all the brake pads - first time since I've owned #2552 - not quite ready to spring for the Turner conversion yet so am looking for any advice on what front/rear pads to use to wring maximum performance from the stock set up. Thanks

There's no real choices on lining materials for an Avanti application. It's such an obsolete and little called for market brake companies don't offer the latest state-of-the-art compounds for it. About all you can do is simply buy the pads and shoes from one of the vendors that offer them. You might be able to score some NOS pads if you're lucky but that's not too likely.

You can try doing a search for pads for a Jaguar "E-Type" from the same period since it uses the same pads, but you'll probably run into the same dead end. I tried that several years ago and the only other alternative I found was for a set of "green" brake pads that were more environmentally friendly, but also specified they were only for cars under 200 horsepower, so I suspect they either would wear very fast on a car like an Avanti or weren't capable of stopping a car of that size and power.

If you do buy rear shoes from one of the suppliers, make sure you send in the old ones to be relined and put back in the food chain.

If you want to find a better choice of stoppers, you're pretty much going to have to go for the Turner conversion kit or some similar kit. I went with the Turner kit and installed NAPA ceramic pads with it.

I believe much of the bad rap spoken about the original Bendix system and vintage vehicle braking is that the old lining material (asbestos) is no longer used. Granted, the Turner system has a larger swept area for a better coefficient of friction and many more choices for pad materials i.e ceramic, but the original Bendix system when right has always performed well for me. The original Bendix works well with the correct pads as seen in this Avanti II road test from 1969. 65 mph stops in 128 ft. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g85RbmNkKqA

Here are some ideas for brake pads: If you contact a place that relines brake shoes and pads like for heavy trucks, they MAY be able to reline your worn pads with a better stopping material or asbestos depending on state laws, but I think the ban of asbestos is countrywide. I contacted Covina Brake and Valley Friction, both in Southern CA and although they said asbestos is no longer available. One mentioned they have been working with "another material" which provides better braking for the older cars. Or... Since Avantis use Jaguar pads as mentioned earlier, you may have good luck contacting a technical advisor from the Jaguar Club as they have surely gone down this road before and may have a relining source. Or... since they are Jaguar pads, you might find a source for asbestos pads in England/UK/Europe. I did a search on this exact subject some time ago and asbestos was available there then. Finally, your easiest route would be to install a set of Ferodo pads which are available for E-type Jaguars. Ferodo is a brand of performance brake pads used on many European cars. I'm not exactly sure what they are made of but I install them on my Bentley and they are a quality product and stop well. In fact, the R-R/Bentley factory pads are re-boxed Ferodos. O'reilly Auto parts can special order Ferodos.

Edited by Paul K.

• 5 weeks later...

If you haven't found an answer yet, you can contact Porterfield brakes in Costa Mesa, CA. I'm running a set of their carbon pads for a E-type Jaguar. I believe the part number was a DD704? Also fits Ferrari.

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/

BTW they can also make up a custom set of rear brake shoes using their compounds.

......they squeak a little but stop quite well.